memphis, jl, rf, polk, pioneer, etc, etc, etc

marvelusmarvcus
10+ year member

ok, so i have searched the forums, cause i know everyone likes to reply with "search the forums". i am trying to figure what shallow subwoofer to get. this has turned out to be a difficult task. i still do not know what to get.

i had the jl 13tw5 shallow, gave it too much juice, so it took a dump. i want something that will handle at least 400 watts. im not concerned about price.

i need some reviews of people who have heard these things, or have them installed. specs look great on a lot of things until you get them and find out they ****.

memphis s class may be the front runner. anyone heard one or any shallow that would compare?

.80 cu sq foot box

4" mounting depth

i was seriously impressed with the sound quality of the jl. i doubt anything would match the sq, but the speaker is soo fragile, i was probably only giving it 400 watts. it wasnt working all that hard and the voicecoil went.

i really dont want to buy another speaker that just crapped out on me. anybody impressed with anything else?

have any of you heard these speakers or use them? i need someone with some actual listening experience. tell me what you used that impressed you, i need some serious convincing.

i hate that i have to use a shallow!

theres no reason you should have blown your tw5. I've installed over 20 of them, and built boxes for all of them I've put an HD750 on 1 of them, and I see the guy everyday and he hasnt blown it once. I havent heard the image dynamics, but i've heard the memphis, rockford, kicker, jl all those. And the JL by far outdoes all of them considering the space it takes. What amp/deck?

im not the first one to post that they lost the voicecoil on the jl sub. maybe some are weaker than others?

was using a fosgate 800.2 and alpine 9886 deck. was giving it somewhere between 350-500 watts probably. if i used less it wouldnt move.

With the JLs, I heard that because the voicecoil is so large, and due to the suspension system, it's possible for the voice coil to come into contact with the basket on low extensions if the sub is in a box that is too large? I could be mistaken...

This quickly destroys the voice coil, as the coil windings go right to the edge of the cone's voice coil tube, so it's easily damaged if over extended. Part of the design I suppose, as it can manage a relatively large excursion considering it's only 2.5" thick.

I've got 2 of these, and have been pumping over 600wrms each into them daily over the last year with no problems at all, but I did make very sure that the enclosure size was no bigger than 20 ltrs for each.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.