Aluminum Coils vs Copper Coils pricing?

RetroAudioinc
5,000+ posts

Custom Car Audio Decals
Why does an Aluminum Coil sub cost more then a Copper Coil when copper cost more?

There is nothing else different right?

Lets just use aq as an example

HDC310 $229 each Copper

HDC310-A $310 each Aluminum

$81 more for something that cost less..

I already know what the difference is in power and all that, this is just about why a copper would be less then Aluminum when copper cost more..

The A coils are American made. The coils come from precision econowind and hdc a's have the soft parts installed here, not in China. As far as I know.

The A coils are American made. The coils come from precision econowind and hdc a's have the soft parts installed here, not in China. As far as I know.
Oh that makes sense did not know that about them.. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

But is there other company's doing this or is it just aq never really looked..

Oh that makes sense did not know that about them.. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

But is there other company's doing this or is it just aq never really looked..
I've only heard of this from Aq. Hdc-a is beneficial if someone's chasing tenths. Doubt it's worth the extra 90 otherwise.

ur better off buying a copper and a alum recone bout the same price as a alum...
True I think the recone is like $90 to $120.. Just seems to make less sense now with that big price difference now that I think about it..

China can build a sub using copper that cost more then Aluminum, ship it here cheaper then what the USA made Aluminum "recone" or new sub cost..

So do they come complete to aq from china with copper and aq recones them? If so what you said makes even more sense, try the copper recone it your self later if it blows about the same darn price..

I've only heard of this from Aq. Hdc-a is beneficial if someone's chasing tenths. Doubt it's worth the extra 90 otherwise.
Tis true that the alum recones are hand made in the USA.

Alum is better if you have the power to push them and will overpower the coppers, has nothing to do with chasing tenths. Coppers are more efficient and will get louder off less power.

I did 3 diff sets of recones in 3 weeks doing some testing and ended up going back to alum as the coppers wouldn't take the power I have. AQ3500 on each sub and wired down to .25ohm for metering. Plus I like to demo full tilt for several minutes at a time.

Up to around 2200watts the copper is the way to go. Much over that and I'd consider the alum coils...

the alum coils cost more because they are made in the usa and because they are copper clad. the plating takes another step which is time that cost money.

copper will sound better and have a lower fs. the alum coil is for more power and is lighter which is better for spl...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.