Alternator overcharging?

15v is too high for lead acid or agm. You gonna kill your Batts. Could also start burning other **** in the system. 14.4 is the highest you wanna run daily. 14.7 would be the highest I'd let it run at.

Nothing higher than 14.4 really your best off closer to 14v. This is why lto is so advantageous.

Lifepo4 really doesn't fully kick in till 13.6v in 4s banks
Lto kicks in at 14.4v in a 6s bank

So while lifepo4 will have an overall higher state of charge you will still have to drop to 13.6v before the battery really starts to help.

Alot of guys are running 6s lto and only charging to 14.6v and optimally 15-15.5v is all you need to get maximum value from lto banks.

All battery's have voltage drop but the closer your charge voltage is to the rest voltage the less the change in voltage is thus a less noticeable drop. This comes at the expense of state of charge.
I think higher charging voltage is a disadvantage of LTO. LTO is certainly better than LiFePO4 if you are set up for LTO, but LiFePO4 plays better with factory electrical.

I finally got to the bottom of of the overcharging.. My system and extra batteries are out of the jeep right now and i left my weakest agm underhood while im building my new system. I ask js alternator if a shot agm could cause overcharging and they said it could.. So i replaced the old agm with 500 farad Xs power superbank and everything is back to normal... 14.6v to 14.8v. Also i called xspower about putting the superbank underhood and shawn said it actually handles heat better that an agm. And my headway bars arrived today... Couldn't be happier with em!
20221228_201519.jpg

Vehicles charging higher or lower depending on outside temperature has been a thing for some time now. As far as I know this is baked into the ECU and it's because batteries perform different in hot or cold weather.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...