Alt/battery help!

Emvaz
10+ year member

Hey all; recently had a new pair of JL HD 900/5s installed to replace my old 600w baby Memphis Belle in my '06 Nissan Altima SE-R. Running a Pioneer DEX-P99RS. I have the 500w channel of each amp running to each of my 12" subs in a sealed box. On one amp I have the 4 100w channels bridged to my HAT Clarus 6.5 midbasses. On the other amp I'm powering the front tweeters and rear coaxials. So thats a 3x increase in rated power amplification over what I had.

The problem is that, while the accuracy and detail is noticeably much improved, the subs don't hit as hard as they used to. Not nearly as hard. In fact, at 20-25hz the response is basically nonexistant, as well as the 100hz response of the midbass is totally not there, and I have yet to be able to really get them to come to life like I know they can. This using a series of test tones I played shortly before doing the new install.

During the install of the amplifiers, the stock 4g cable running from the battery to the amplifier was replaced by a 2g cable routed through a switchboard (in lieu of a fuse) by recommendation of the installer. I also has a battery cable end replaced, as it had been corroded through and melted, which is something that has happened recently. I'm currently running a stock interstate battery and alternator, which I suspect to be the issues. The amplifiers themselves get extremely hot after only a moderate listening session, which I have heard can be an issue of current starvation. My HID headlights don't flicker at all but the interior light do badly when the vehicle is idling and the subs try to hit. The individual drivers themselves seem to drop off at the lowest frequencies of their given crossover range, which are their most energy-demanding times of operation, so it definitely seems to be a current-demand issue.

The installer recommended first to replace my primary battery with a deep cycle AGM battery. The next step would be to replace my capacitor with a second AGM, if the single battery solution didn't work, followed by a bigger alternator.

Realistically, could these two amplifiers (which are supposed to be relatively efficient due to being full-range d-class) be powered to my satisfaction by a single battery, even a large AGM? Would my stock alternator be able to keep up? How long can I expect one of these very pricey AGM batteries to last? Any specific battery recommendations for my application?

Thanks for any advise.

Would it be a good idea to leave my stock battery and then upgrade to a large secondary? Wouldn't that be bad for both batteries unless they are the same type? Should I wire them parallel or isolate the secondary batt?

^^ Thats a yes and no answer depening on who u ask. Ive ran stock wet cell with agm's with zero issue. Then some people say they have problems. As long as resting voltage is near each other I say go with it. But u will get a different answer below me im sure...

OK so I found the problem. The ground wasn't the issue because I used the same ground with my old amp and it never gave me problems. I checked my amp settings and the installer had turned on the ultrasonic filter on one of the amps...duh. After messing with the equalizer I was able to get a decent response from the 20-25hz range from the sub and also the 100hz range from the midbass (although I had to turn up the gains higher than I would like).

That said, I'm now having issues with dimming dash lights when the subs hit, and when they hit hard, I can hear some of the amp channels cutting out. Both amps also get extremely hot. It's looking like a battery is my best option, my questions are: do I run it isolated or parallel; would it be sufficient to just replace my stock battery with a large agm, or is it a better idea to run with two batteries? Parallel or isolated? What size batts?

Thanks for the feedback so far,

Michael

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.