Electrical Nightmare, Mk3 jetta 2.0 voltage Issues

adjetta
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Ok, so here is the skinny, I have a 98 Volkswagen Jetta, it is a 2.0 liter aba, with a 90 amp alt, I am running

Currently running 1 orion HCCA 15.4 at 2 ohms on a Hifonics BRZ 2400.1 (1700 @ 2 ohms) 1 kciker zx350.4 (400 rms) so a total of 2100 watts rms at 2 ohms

*one Diehard marine deep cycle up front 675 cca, 180 RC, unsure on AH

Marine / RV battery (with exchange)- DieHard-Automotive-Batteries-Marine Batteries

*one Diehard Platinum agm deep cycle in the rear 930 cca, 135 rc, 75 AH

*Zero Gauge all around

*big three

*line output converter for a clean signal to the amp

I sit at about 13.4-13.6 at idle and under loads I drop as low as 11.4, I know I need an H/O alt but where can I find a decent one for cheaper than 500? I was looking to spend sub 400?

I would ask around on vwvortex. I know there are several guys that have done alts on their 2 liters. You may want to ask around to see if any newer vw alts will work or what others used. This guy did a large chevy alt on his MK2 but looks like he built all the brackets. Hope this helps some.

VWVortex.com - 380 Amp chevy alternator mounted in a MK2 Jetta

BTW, anything you can do on a MK2, is about the same on your MK3

No , no effect, but will kill the Agm faster, not supposed to start cars of Agm.
incorrect. AGM is just a type of lead acid. available in standard, deep cycle, and marine applications. example: all optima are AGM.

engine starting is just fine. i would put the Platinum up front and keep the marine in the rear.

dropping to 11V tells me the batteries aren't charged.

incorrect. AGM is just a type of lead acid. available in standard, deep cycle, and marine applications. example: all optima are AGM.engine starting is just fine. i would put the Platinum up front and keep the marine in the rear.

dropping to 11V tells me the batteries aren't charged.
this

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.