Alpine type s?

Participant count
  • Participant list

goingdef
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
Norfolk VA
So the other night I was bored and decided to turn my xover off on my extremely over powered comps(seeing 275rms) rated 125rms long story short the met both thermal and mechanical limits and are now gone! So I scooped some types s comps to hold me over and noticed a small coil on the speaker that's not part of the xover so with some testing I discovered these coils raise the impedance of the speaker! Has anyone else ever seen this done before? I know I have seen people wanting to raise the impedance of there subs why would this not work for them because it causes nearly 1ohm of rise in these speakers. Just thought I would dis use this to see if anyone else had seen this before?

Probably because subwoofers have a higher power handling and it is hard to find resistors that can take that much power.
But it's not a resistor it's probably 2' of copper wire wrapped in heat shrink tubing if it had been some kind of electrolytic capacitor I would have thought the same thing that's why I tested it to figure out what it did and ranted I was going to pull it before tossing them in.

Actually, the "device" on the back of the woofer may be the woofer's low pass crossover "network". Perhaps, it's just an inductor. The current Alpine Type-S and Type-R speakers have an interesting crossover setup where the woofer's portion of the crossover is on the back of the woofer, but the tweeter crossover is in an external box. The tweeter network connects to the back of the woofer. The interesting thing about this setup is that you can bi-amp your speakers, by connecting the tweeter and woofer each directly to the amplifier channels.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.