Alpine Type R SBR-S8-4 Replacement Speaker

Participant count
  • Participant list

1bwrightST

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hi all,

I just became a member not too long ago and this is my first post. With that said, I hope this post doesn't infringe on the posting rules (which I did read). 

As the title suggests, I am looking to replace the speaker in my Alpine Type R SBR-S8-4. It blew on me after about 4 years of use. I was told that I could just replace the speaker and use the old enclosure. I've already taken it out of the enclosure, so I know I can put something in it. What I was thinking about doing was actually trying to find an upgrade over the original speaker in the $100 range. So my questions are

1) It is possible to replace the speaker with anything other than the original Alpine? Would I have to do any custom work? I'd like to avoid this.

2) Can I find an upgrade for $100 and is it worth doing vs just getting, say, another SBR-S8?

3) If my plan is doable, will the enclosure be ok for the new speaker, i.e. will it negatively affect the sound and life of said new speaker? I was recently told by a car audio professional that prefabricated enclosures are rarely adequate for the speakers they house and that custom is the way to go. However, I don't want to spend that money right now.

I greatly appreciate the advice and look forward to learning more! Thank you!

Hi all,

I just became a member not too long ago and this is my first post. With that said, I hope this post doesn't infringe on the posting rules (which I did read). 

As the title suggests, I am looking to replace the speaker in my Alpine Type R SBR-S8-4. It blew on me after about 4 years of use. I was told that I could just replace the speaker and use the old enclosure. I've already taken it out of the enclosure, so I know I can put something in it. What I was thinking about doing was actually trying to find an upgrade over the original speaker in the $100 range. So my questions are

1) It is possible to replace the speaker with anything other than the original Alpine? Would I have to do any custom work? I'd like to avoid this.

2) Can I find an upgrade for $100 and is it worth doing vs just getting, say, another SBR-S8?

3) If my plan is doable, will the enclosure be ok for the new speaker, i.e. will it negatively affect the sound and life of said new speaker? I was recently told by a car audio professional that prefabricated enclosures are rarely adequate for the speakers they house and that custom is the way to go. However, I don't want to spend that money right now.

I greatly appreciate the advice and look forward to learning more! Thank you!
1: The box that sub in is looks too shallow for a standard type-r to fit in. what is the depth of the woofer loaded into that box?

2: very likely, yes

3: the guy who told you that was right. there are several programs people use on their "kohm-pewters" (whatever those might be) that model enclosures for almost any subwoofer based on their T/S parameters. Also, custom boxes (when done correctly) are stronger than pre-fabs and stand up to the pressures better

Im betting that we can find you a sub thatll work in that box well enough to get you by with a smile on your face

1: The box that sub in is looks too shallow for a standard type-r to fit in. what is the depth of the woofer loaded into that box?

2: very likely, yes

3: the guy who told you that was right. there are several programs people use on their "kohm-pewters" (whatever those might be) that model enclosures for almost any subwoofer based on their T/S parameters. Also, custom boxes (when done correctly) are stronger than pre-fabs and stand up to the pressures better

Im betting that we can find you a sub thatll work in that box well enough to get you by with a smile on your face
Ha! "Kohm-pewter", I'll have to use that at some point. 

That's awesome! I'm looking forward to the suggestions! 

Both the woofer and the enclosure are about 5" deep The woofer sits against the back of the enclosure (with padding), and is flush with the enclosure at the top. 

According to Alpine's website, the model of the woofer is SWR-S8D-2D (wired in parallel, 4Ohm), but a Google search didn't yield anything I found useful (I may have overlooked it).

I suppose I should give a little more information about my setup:

2014 Ford Focus ST (hatchback, 6 speaker stock system)

Head Unit: Kenwood Excelon DDX8901HD

Amplifier: Kenwood Excelon x700-5 1200W

Front Speakers: Hertz Hi-Energy HSK 165 6.5 components (recently bought)

Rear Speakers: Don't remember the model, but they're a set of cheap Alpines ($80 at the time)

Ha! "Kohm-pewter", I'll have to use that at some point. 

That's awesome! I'm looking forward to the suggestions! 

Both the woofer and the enclosure are about 5" deep The woofer sits against the back of the enclosure (with padding), and is flush with the enclosure at the top. 

According to Alpine's website, the model of the woofer is SWR-S8D-2D (wired in parallel, 4Ohm), but a Google search didn't yield anything I found useful (I may have overlooked it).

I suppose I should give a little more information about my setup:

2014 Ford Focus ST (hatchback, 6 speaker stock system)

Head Unit: Kenwood Excelon DDX8901HD

Amplifier: Kenwood Excelon x700-5 1200W

Front Speakers: Hertz Hi-Energy HSK 165 6.5 components (recently bought)

Rear Speakers: Don't remember the model, but they're a set of cheap Alpines ($80 at the time)
im glad the comedy wasnt lost on ya :)

This sub might require a baffle to get it to fit, but its priced to sell and looks like its built like a tank

https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_74657_Massive-Audio-SUMMO-84.html

or for $20 more you could get this guy

https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_68129_Massive-Audio-HIPPO84.html

again built like a tank and very affordable. People have been going nuts over 8's as of late and many mfgs are stepping their 8 game up quite a bit

im glad the comedy wasnt lost on ya :)

This sub might require a baffle to get it to fit, but its priced to sell and looks like its built like a tank

https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_74657_Massive-Audio-SUMMO-84.html

or for $20 more you could get this guy

https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_68129_Massive-Audio-HIPPO84.html

again built like a tank and very affordable. People have been going nuts over 8's as of late and many mfgs are stepping their 8 game up quite a bit
Excellent! Thank you for the recommendations. Although I haven't heard of the company, it looks like these subs are highly rated.

A few more questions if you don't mind:

1) What is a baffle and how is it installed in this case?

2) On the website you linked me, it shows a much bigger enclosure for around $58. I didn't realize that enclosures could be that inexpensive. Would it be better to pair either of those subs with this? Honestly, I want to do things the right way, and if that means another $60 for an all around better setup than what I had previously, then I can probably do that. I've actually found my same Alpine for around $150 online and was considering it before I posted here.

Would this completely change which sub you would recommend? lol ? 

https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_81274_Atrend-8SQV.html

Thoes enclosures **** on sonic. The type r is fairly shallow plus there's no vent on the bottom. So if you're going to use that alpine enclosure keep that in mind.

A more of an improvement imo would be to replace it with another type r and later when u want to spend some $ by another sbr-s8-4. That'll give ya more come area and output. Or just do something entirely different.

You might not like a different sub in that enclosure if you can find one that'll fit it.

Thoes enclosures **** on sonic. The type r is fairly shallow plus there's no vent on the bottom. So if you're going to use that alpine enclosure keep that in mind.

A more of an improvement imo would be to replace it with another type r and later when u want to spend some $ by another sbr-s8-4. That'll give ya more come area and output. Or just do something entirely different.

You might not like a different sub in that enclosure if you can find one that'll fit it.
Thanks for the info. The sound of a different sub in the Alpine enclosure is something I am concerned about. It was built for the Alpine sub. 

If I could do something entirely different for around $150 and have it be an upgrade to the Alpine, then I'm all for that. I welcome any recommendations you may have. Please keep in mind I would like to stick with an 8". ?

Thanks for the info. The sound of a different sub in the Alpine enclosure is something I am concerned about. It was built for the Alpine sub. 

If I could do something entirely different for around $150 and have it be an upgrade to the Alpine, then I'm all for that. I welcome any recommendations you may have. Please keep in mind I would like to stick with an 8". ?
Idk might be difficult unless you can build your own enclosure 

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.