Alpine PDX-V9 and PDR-V75 running warm! Why?

some cars you need a dedicated negative run to the rear due to how they are designed.
Yep, that's what I was planning on doing when I was doing it myself. But my installer guy found a bolt under the rim of the Stow-n-Go seat storage compartments and I figured it was a good ground, so we used it. I'm gonna get some jumper cables Tues (to run a test ground) and a new VOM (my old one is only a VM now!) but I can imagine we will be running a 0AWG ground cable off the battery as I had originally planned.

John Kuthe...

How do you resistance test ground points???
Test the resistance between a suspect ground against a known good ground like the car battery neg terminal post. Ideally there should be no (zero Ohms) resistance between the two electrically. And at the other extreme, infinite resistance (no continuity) it means the two are not electrically connected at all. I Googled "testing automotive grounds" and evidently from what I read more than 3 or 4 Ohms resistance between them means not a very good ground. I would shoot for ZERO Ohms difference myself. Which is probably what we (my installer guy and I) will end up doing. Just run a dedicated 0AWG ground cable from the battery neg post. The 12V+ we have is directly from the pos battery post. That's the best ground I could get!

John Kuthe...

The best ground in the car is the alternator case. You know the source? You don't need a dedicated run, you just need you find or make a better spot.
Ideally there should be NO electrical difference (0 Ohm resistance) between the alternator case and the neg battery terminal. So the neg battery post SHOULD be as good a ground as the alternator case. Why don't we run a 12V+ from the alternator pos side? Again, ideally there SHOULD be no electrical difference!

We are getting into my bailiwick now as an Electrical Engineer!! :)

John Kuthe...

Umm 12v does start at the alternator and there is a power wire going from it to the battery.
Depending on WHEN!! Upon starting the vehicle ALL the electrical power/current/etc. is coming from the battery. That's the battery's job, starting the car. After starting and once the alternator comes up to full function then the alternator powers everything electrical in the car, including keeping the battery (hopefully) fully charged for the next "starting" necessity.

I can deal with the very small electrical difference (resistance) between the alternator's electrical + and - terminals and the battery's + and - posts.

John Kuthe...

Test the resistance between a suspect ground against a known good ground like the car battery neg terminal post. Ideally there should be no (zero Ohms) resistance between the two electrically. And at the other extreme, infinite resistance (no continuity) it means the two are not electrically connected at all. I Googled "testing automotive grounds" and evidently from what I read more than 3 or 4 Ohms resistance between them means not a very good ground. I would shoot for ZERO Ohms difference myself. Which is probably what we (my installer guy and I) will end up doing. Just run a dedicated 0AWG ground cable from the battery neg post. The 12V+ we have is directly from the pos battery post. That's the best ground I could get!

John Kuthe...
Thanks. i thought tool may have a different answer.

Thing is testing continuity doesn't give any useful info as far as the the grounds load capacity, because even a 24 gauge wire will give 0 Ohms reading but obviously is not large enough for any amp. I was just thinking there has to be a good way of testing a grounds load ability (or voltage drop under load) .

That aside I agree equal size ground and hot wire direct to the battery would always be the best.

Thanks. i thought tool may have a different answer.
Thing is testing continuity doesn't give any useful info as far as the the grounds load capacity, because even a 24 gauge wire will give 0 Ohms reading but obviously is not large enough for any amp. I was just thinking there has to be a good way of testing a grounds load ability (or voltage drop under load) .
You are correct. For simple continuity testing it's tested with a very small voltage and current test. Tells you nothing of how much current the circuit could safely accommodate. And yes measuring voltage drop under a known load will tell you a lot about load ability. If the voltage drop is significant under a relatively light load then you know you're in trouble.

That aside I agree equal size ground and hot wire direct to the battery would always be the best.
Yep, my installer guy emailed me and said it would be best to have both wires as identical as possible and that means KnuKoncepts (sp?) 0AWG just like the 12v+. I told him to order some. He bought the $129 install kit in the first place, so he's conversant in ordering the correct stuff.

John Kuthe...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.