Alpine PDX-V9 and PDR-V75 running warm! Why?

JohnKuthe

CarAudio.com Veteran
Missouri
My installer guy got my amps and DSP wired up to 12V+ and GND, awaiting speaker and subwoofers and we unplugged the PDX-V9 as we worked because it was quite warm.

Is it normal for an amplifier circuit to use that much power when not amplifying anything!

John Kuthe...

My installer guy got my amps and DSP wired up to 12V+ and GND, awaiting speaker and subwoofers and we unplugged the PDX-V9 as we worked because it was quite warm.
Is it normal for an amplifier circuit to use that much power when not amplifying anything!

John Kuthe...
Aren't you an electrical engineer by degree? You should know what to expect.

The heat being generated was NOT at all what I expected.
I'm gonna contact Crutchfield, I may have a warranty issue.

John Kuthe...
Are your grounds sufficient and how were the gains set? It's odd that it would be both amps if it was a warranty issue, so if it's both I would say it's an install issue. What's your voltage at the amp?

Are your grounds sufficient and how were the gains set? It's odd that it would be both amps if it was a warranty issue, so if it's both I would say it's an install issue. What's your voltage at the amp?
Dunno, gonna find out after my dinner, if I can easily. I have a VOM and know how to use it. Will report here. And the lower power PDR-V75 is not as warm, but still warm.

Thanks!

John Kuthe...

Dunno, gonna find out after my dinner, if I can easily. I have a VOM and know how to use it. Will report here. And the lower power PDR-V75 is not as warm, but still warm.
Thanks!

John Kuthe...
Well, I lied. I didn't get out to check any voltages, but at least both amps are dead cold after my vehicle has been sitting all night in my garage. So the amp heating problem is definitely only occurring when the ignition is on and happened yesterday after the ignition was on for a while with me driving out there then sitting in his driveway working on the sound system with the key in ACC position to play the new Alpine HU and Alpine speakers though the stock speaker wires. Will test again next Wed when I go out again to do some more work on getting this audio system installed. Something is terribly wrong, possibly the big bolt we found around the periphery of the Stow-n-Go seat compartment along the rear edge is NOT a good ground! Sure seemed like a good strong structural thing, so we loosened and spun the nut off, my installer guy wire brushed it good around the stud and surrounding area to make as good electrical connection and installed a big ring terminal and replaced and tightened the nut assuming this would be a good ground and installed a ground distribution block on it with a fat 0AWG cable. Gonna have to check that first. These newer cars are rough to find a good ground with all the PLASTIC they use in vehicle construction! :-(

John Kuthe...

some cars you need a dedicated negative run to the rear due to how they are designed.
Yep, apparently! Gonna have to rethink that ground. I was actually planning on running TWO big power cables right off the battery, a 12V+ and a battery ground. Don't get any better ground than that! My installer guy and I both thought it was very fortuitous to find that big 19MM bolt in the Stow-n-Go storage compartment. But apparently maybe it is a bad grounding point. Gonna have to test it!

John Kuthe...

As a famed EE you should know how to resistance test grounding points. Any average installer should as well.
Why do you comment more about people than you do about car audio? Jealous you don't have a fancy formal education like I do??

John Kuthe...

Why do you comment more about people than you do about car audio? Jealous you don't have a fancy formal education like I do??
John Kuthe...
I'm ejemecated enough to test a ground and I'm not a EE.

But I do have a business degree and the government trust me enough to fly a Rhino and blow stuff up

I'm ejemecated enough to test a ground and I'm not a EE. But I do have a business degree and the government trust me enough to fly a Rhino and blow stuff up
Yeah, I used to work for the Military Industrial Complex, facilitating designing and building bigger better ways of killing more people faster. Money was good but I got out of that nasty evil line of work and became an RN so now I am HELPING people via direct patient care and my karma feels MUCH BETTER! :)

I know now why you seem to contrary here, often. Your karma is suffering.

John Kuthe...

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.