Alpine 9887 vs. Pioneer p880prs vs. Pioneer p800prs

mk_
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Tempe, AZ
I'm interested in one of these for an active setup. Just looking for opinions on which I should go with. The 9887 looks like I would be able to get for ~$300 new, 880 for ~$250 new, and I haven't looked at 800 prices.

I would consider the 880 if it really is the better deck, I just don't know if I want to fool with pioneer grounding issues. What do you think?

Thanks in advance

Michael

i picked the 9887 cuz of the ipod controls and it had no noise problems. also wanted to try the imprint out. i would have gotten the 800 but it wasnt out yet.

Both are very nice decks. The 9887 looks spectacular, especially at night. The 880prs has amazing tweeking ability. Of course the Alpine holds its own in that department too. Another option for you, you can look at getting the Excelon X-990. it does it all, and looks super. Thats what I went with. I don't think you could go wrong with any of these choices.

Both are very nice decks. The 9887 looks spectacular, especially at night. The 880prs has amazing tweeking ability. Of course the Alpine holds its own in that department too. Another option for you, you can look at getting the Excelon X-990. it does it all, and looks super. Thats what I went with. I don't think you could go wrong with any of these choices.
The o.p wants an active capable deck and the x990 is not the answer or any other kenwood Hu

If you choose Pioneer, no point in getting the 800PRS unless you want bluetooth or HD capability. Spec wise they look exactly the same. Their R&D team didn't do much for this unit //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

The only thing I could say differently is the 800PRS seems to have a better built-in amp. When I had my 800 installed (Yes, I have one. My insurance company got a hold of one when the faceplate of my 880 was stolen last month), the rear speakers (which I temporarily run off the head unit when people are in the rear seats) sounded better on the 800 as on the 880. But that could also just be the fact that I was without music for 2 weeks.

Good info guys, Thanks.

I have no use for the additional features the 800 offers over the 880. I honestly was expecting more Alpine guys to chime in backing up the 9887. I'm sure its a great unit, and was HIGHLY considering it, but i can't see spending a considerable amount more for something that does practically the same as the p880prs.

x990 does NOT go active. It has high and low pass xovers, but no bandpass.

9887 > 880 because of noise issue, otherwise they are = in my opinion.

i picked the 9887 cuz of the ipod controls and it had no noise problems. also wanted to try the imprint out. i would have gotten the 800 but it wasnt out yet.
i have a hissing issue when i have my ipod connected.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.