Alot louder with door open, not enough port area?

JoshC
10+ year member

The Taco MASTA
Houston, tx
So ive noticed a that when i open either my door or the passengers(single cab truck) my sub is audibly louder to any music, especially at high volumes. Im currently running 2 3in aeros at 33Hz, should i switch over to some 4in aeros? How can i make my sub sound that much louder with doors shut

Its an OA 12 in 2.2cu^ft net @ 33Hz

You have roughly 44 square inches of port unless my iPhones calculator is being dumb again and I'm wrong lol. But in a single cab truck whenever you put a system in it the cabin is so small it can become a box in itself.

You have roughly 44 square inches of port unless my iPhones calculator is being dumb again and I'm wrong lol. But in a single cab truck whenever you put a system in it the cabin is so small it can become a box in itself.
lol ok but that didnt answer my question, i have atleaste a +3db gain with door open. What do i need to do to my box to gain that without doors open

lol ok but that didnt answer my question, i have atleaste a +3db gain with door open. What do i need to do to my box to gain that without doors open
max out the box with testing. after sealing my wall im still louder trunk open :/

same thing with the danger ranger.... no matter what there really just isnt enough volume in the cabin. when you open the door that make the sub see a larger volume in front of the cone. this makes it so the sub isnt fighting itself, when the truck is sealed up the front wave has too much pressure in front of it to move enough, so the rear and front waves fight eachother... try a larger enclosure with more port. that may work.

max out the box with testing. after sealing my wall im still louder trunk open :/
same thing with the danger ranger.... no matter what there really just isnt enough volume in the cabin. when you open the door that make the sub see a larger volume in front of the cone. this makes it so the sub isnt fighting itself, when the truck is sealed up the front wave has too much pressure in front of it to move enough, so the rear and front waves fight eachother... try a larger enclosure with more port. that may work.
hmmm ok, well ive talked to box man a bit about it. He thinks we can rebuild and do better but im not positive about anything yet lol. But i did get my windows tinted lol

2 3in aeros is ~14 sq inches, unless I'm wrong.

So ive noticed a that when i open either my door or the passengers(single cab truck) my sub is audibly louder to any music, especially at high volumes. Im currently running 2 3in aeros at 33Hz, should i switch over to some 4in aeros? How can i make my sub sound that much louder with doors shut
Pretty common for that type of vehicle. Possibly more port area will help, but I wouldn't expect miracles.

---------- Post added at 10:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:30 PM ----------

Pretty common for that type of vehicle. Possibly more port area will help, but I wouldn't expect miracles.

Has to do with cancellation and phasing issues. Nearly every vehicle I've seen is louder with a door open. I've had 5 different setups for my pathfinder and all of them were loudest with one of the windows down

Has to do with cancellation and phasing issues. Nearly every vehicle I've seen is louder with a door open. I've had 5 different setups for my pathfinder and all of them were loudest with one of the windows down
I gain almost 10dbeez with my driver door open.

i gain 4-6 depending on the system im running, port area is part of it, but it also has a lot to do with the vehicle,

a tahoe that i meter looses a good 4db by when something is open. it just how things work,

and you are a good bit short on port area, i would say at the least add another 3", but it would probably be better to go with a pair of 4" or a single 6"... how much power?

My 94 olds was much louder with the widows/doors open.

However my single cab Toyota pickup with a center consoul box, to the ear, gets quieter by a whole lot if both windows and rear sliding window is open. But with it opened up the windows and rear view move a lot more but to my ear get much quieter? All cars/trucks are different.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.