all amps sound the same?

If that was the case we would all be running Pyramid or Boss amps. For the most part, you get what you pay for when you buy amps. A Zapco or Audison amp is gonna blow the doors off a Pyramid amp in SQ and, well, quality.

every piece of equipment used will make a difference, if u get crappy stuff cuse its cheap and everything else is high end. It'll make a huge difference compared to just saving up that extra money and getting something worth while.

is it true that all amps without settings gains and all that, sound the same if they push out equal power?...
the subs and speakers are the ones that matter.
Well, it's not quite as simple as you're trying to make it, but yes, a watt is a watt no matter what it costs.

The issue is a GOOD 100w amp is going to produce 100w or more, while a cheap 100w amp migh only produce 75, or less, and THAT is the difference people hear and thinks it's due to the "sound quality" of the amp. It's not, it's ACTUAL power.

We would probably see a lot more Pyramids and Boss amps being used if they actually built something that put out some real power. The problem is - when you look at Pyramid's manuals on line you'll find that their $100 ebay 2000w amplifiers are actually rated for about 400w rms.

People buy them and put them up against their friends RF's and Kickers that actually DO put out some power - then they say, "Oh, this pyramid has horrible sound quality."

No, it doesn't, it's just a lot less powerful.

All amps of a similar topology will sound the same...

Thing is, there isn't just one kind of amplifier out there //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Doesnt Richard Clark or someone have a contest running where he will pay money if you can prove that two amps of the same power sound different?

Lemme hunt for a link.

let me put it to you in pictures...

here is a pyramid/lanzar/boss (all same board) that claims 2400 watts

inside1.jpg

and here is an Orion hcca 5000 that claims 2500 watts

inside1.jpg

not saying that makes them sound any different, but ya get the idea? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Doesnt Richard Clark or someone have a contest running where he will pay money if you can prove that two amps of the same power sound different?
Lemme hunt for a link.
Not just the same power, but ones that measure identically in specs - which really, if you think about it, isn't much of a "test" at all.

Not all amplifiers measure the same, even with the power held constant. Part of why I disagree with RC's "contest".

let me put it to you in pictures...
here is a pyramid/lanzar/boss (all same board) that claims 2400 watts

inside1.jpg

and here is an Orion hcca 5000 that claims 2500 watts

inside1.jpg

not saying that makes them sound any different, but ya get the idea? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif
he doesnt mean one that says max and one RMS he means both stating the same RMS. therefore your pics mean nothing. Of course a RMS amp will differ form a max power (meaning nothing) amp

I think this question came from a thread that was made on http://www.diymobileaudio.com. The question was misunderstood by a few people. What some members were saying was that if you take a certain class of amplifiers and take out their filtering and processing, then a watt is a watt. The amplification stage is going to be the same regardless. They were also saying that most people can't here the difference between high-end amplifiers anyway and that you should only buy what you can hear. If a Sony Xplod sounds just as good as a Brax or a Tru, then by all means save yourself the money and buy a Sony.

okay i think i see what ur asking now... i misunderstood

but that hcca d5000 is sexxxxy

and in terms of build quality, im sure you can see you get what u pay for wether it sounds "good" or not

Not just the same power, but ones that measure identically in specs - which really, if you think about it, isn't much of a "test" at all.
Not all amplifiers measure the same, even with the power held constant. Part of why I disagree with RC's "contest".
There are only certain specs that must be the same. They seem to be limiting difference in volume, preventing audible noise, and keep everything at the same phase and polarity.

Also no cheating like reversing the left and right channels.

These don't seem fair to you? They do to me.

how could you prove they sound the same, all you could do is just tell him they sound the same //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.