Best Way To Attack the Rear Deck?

Harrison486
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
New Jersey
What's going on everyone?

Well, this summer I have been attacking the many rattles that plague my car. I have gotten rid of most of them, but the rear deck is still rattling. Ive noticed that the rear deck, or the carpeting and foam that covers it, bounces up and down like crazy when I play my music, and the rattling that I am hearing is coming from the noise of it bouncing on the metal below....

I finally got the **** rear deck covering off today and am trying to figure out what exactly to do. Basically with the rear deck covering off, it is somewhat apparent what is going on. Between the rear speakers, there are two fairly large cutouts in the metal frame of the rear deck. I assume that air being pushed by my subs is escaping through these holes and pushing the covering up, thus causing it to bounce around like crazy.

Now, what would be the best way to attack this problem?

Should I just cover the whole metal rear deck (frame, holes, and all) with sound deadening material and then put the rear deck cover back on?

Should I cut holes in the rear deck cover that match up exactly with the holes in the rear deck? Wouldn't this allow the bass to still get into the car easily, but alleviate the rattle?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

HERE ARE SOME PICTURES TO HELP YOU SEE WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT

Yeah I was planning on just putting some foam, or sound deadening materal there... maybe even a few layers of that peel n seal ****...

But is covering those holes gonna interfere with the bass getting into my car? Or would cutting holes around those holes mess with the sound too?

I would cut the holes out in the foam.

I would use some sound deadening then put a layer of foam over top of that.

If u just use the deadener it will still slap against it causing noise.

The foam will not cause it will be like a pillow that will give alittle to get rid of the unwanted noise.

But is covering those holes gonna interfere with the bass getting into my car? Or would cutting holes around those holes mess with the sound too?
it can, does your rear seats fold down and if they do, do u drive with them down to hear the music better?

I prefer to start by sneaking upon it with my crouching tiger, Then leap on it with my drunken shaolin. Then finish it off with my flaming bubblehead.
Similar to how I would do it....

Okay, seriously.... Cut out some plexi glass, and put it over the holes. Seal it off with silicone. Then, deaden the rest of the deck. Should eliminate most, if not all, of your rattles. Shouldn't be too hard to do either. Just cut the plexi-glass, lay it on top of the big holes, and seal up with some silicone. Sealing up all of those littler holes with sound deadening would also help improve sound quality.

If you have everything setup right in your trunk, subwoofer and stuff, you shouldn't have any problem hearing/feeling that bass.

Hope that helps you out some.

i cut mine out....but that was for a different reason. I had the same issue, and mine was the rear deck piece hitting the bottom of the back window.

well then, where else does all that air pressure have to go? lol

The air will find the easiest way out of your truck into a bigger area, in your case through the rear deck. Only suggestion i have is to seal up those holes and start driving around with the back seats down... or Try to pad the **** out of the rear deck to stop the plastic to metal contact.

well then, where else does all that air pressure have to go? lol
The air will find the easiest way out of your truck into a bigger area, in your case through the rear deck. Only suggestion i have is to seal up those holes and start driving around with the back seats down... or Try to pad the **** out of the rear deck to stop the plastic to metal contact.
Pretty much...

What he said.

I have the same problem. I was gonna take the cover off and put some kind of foam over the metal deck...but I cant seem to get the ****ing cover off. I pushed a couple peices of material under it and it seemed to help some. I see no reason to plexi/ deaden and all that if you're just trying to stop the friction...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.