Ahh! Help?

NitroCL
10+ year member

Hey all,

I hate to jump in without an introduction but I've got a little problem here. I recently installed two 15" Pioneer subwoofers rated at 4 ohms powered by two 1/2 channel Sony amps. While I was waiting on my second amp in the mail I ran both speakers on the one that I had already and they worked flawlessy. Now that I've got my second amp installed and wired up I ran some splitters from my audio cable to the amps. I also tried using only one end run through a splitter on each of the amps and countless configurations with the two splitters running to both amps. The problem I am having is when I have both speakers hooked up, in any of the aforementioned configurations, I get a nasty excursion and popping from the speakers, it almost looks as if the speakers are breathing at 1-2 Hz. My low pass filter is on on both amps, not that I would imagine it would make a difference. I'm sure I've left something out but it seems you all are a knowledgable group. If you have any questions I would be more than happy to answer them. I would really like to get these things going.

Much thanks guys!

Mike

ITS ALIVE!!!! MUAHAHAHAHAH!!!

sorry i couldnt resist. sounds liek you might have some feedback. try not using the splitter and running each amp one at a time. splitter could be bad.

Matt

ITS ALIVE!!!! MUAHAHAHAHAH!!!
sorry i couldnt resist. sounds liek you might have some feedback. try not using the splitter and running each amp one at a time. splitter could be bad.

Matt
Well, I've tried them individually, running one channel to each amp or running both channels to one amp, when I would run both into one, that one speaker would work fine, when I ran one channel to each amp I had the same problem with the speakers popping, or breathing like I said, as if they were trying to produce a noise around 1-2 Hz. I really don't know a whole lot about car audio, even though I've worked on cars my whole life I only know enough about audio to get myself into trouble.

EDIT: Both of these splitters are brand hammer new, just came in yesterday. Not to say that a new product can't be bad, I've seen it a few times where I work. But I just feel as though there's something else going wrong.

hmm, so if you wire each sub to its own amp and try to run just one amp it works fine? does your amp have a "signal out" RCA slot?

Matt

One amp powers one sub, they are completely independent of each other (which is a major part of whats throwing me off here.) when I run the left and right channel out of the HU and into the L/R inputs on the amp they work, but I noticed earlier (And have video of) that even the the "breathing" effect is still present, albeit very minor. when I run a splitter on the L channel from the HU to the L channels on both of the amps and the same with the R channel I get the breathing effect, but amplified by a hundred times to where it pushes the speaker all the way out( and then the amps seemingly go into protection) and the speakers retract to neutral making a popping noise. I wouldn't mind taking a video of it if it didn't scare me that it might hurt my equipment or that it's dark now.

EDIT: No Signal Out on these amps either.

im stumped. sounds kinda similar to a problem i had with my first install. the shop ran the RCAs next to the "turn on" wire for the factory amp. and every time i would turn the key on i would hear a pulsing sound from the sub for about 5 seconds and it would go away.

Matt

Let me upload the video I have, you'll see it if you pay very close attention, it's hard to see but the video is of one speaker running.

Not to dog on your system bro, but cant really say Sony's are good amps in the first place. maybe get one mono block for the two of them

Yep, I guess they would be kind of old school, but I like them. I reaped them from under my TV in my home stereo, where they worked flawlessly.

I get that, but they were cheap, I'm not looking for competition grade or anything like that, this is only my second set up and the first one I did in my friends car (which is ALL sony 0.o) was all plug and play since he bought it used and assembled. Once I've got the hang of this and can wire something up I might look into getting some higher quality equipment.

Yep, I guess they would be kind of old school, but I like them. I reaped them from under my TV in my home stereo, where they worked flawlessly.
what's the model number on the subs? It'd be pretty old school indeed for Pioneer 15's. Unless you've got those excursion monsters they used to make, which are also old school. lol

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.