aftermarket 6.5's fitting behind door panels?

Participant count
  • Participant list
You're gonna have to measure the space behind your door. Sundown will tell you the dimensions of their comps and see if they fit in your space.

More than likely you're going to need some kind of adapter.

I got some CDT 6.5s for Christmas and they were bigger than the stock spot. No matter what I did (with the exception of modifying the actual door panel or door itself) they weren't gonna fit. Measure cutout diameter and mounting depth, roll down your window for mounting depth.

I'm looking to get the sundown component set for my 03 ranger but will they fit behind the door panel, or will I have to get some kind of pod made?
Rangers have 6x8's all the way around to the best of my knowledge,.. so a 6.5" isn't going to fit without some modification. The bottom mount depth is somewhere around 2 and 11/16th's to 3" .. I know 2-11/16th's fit due to speakers offered of that bottom mount depth in the ranger.

I would use Crutchfield just as a guide .. Check the dimensions on the Sundown components top and bottom mount.. depths.. go to crutchfield and check out a number of component 6.5" sets.. check out those dimensions. Crutchfield often packs 6x8 to 6.5" adapter plates for your truck with the speakers they offer.

The plate usually looks something like this:

100_0565.jpg

I'm not saying buy from crutchfield.. it's just a "tool" to figure out depths, .. and you may want to grab an adapter from them.

But.. plenty of people have put 6.5" components in the Ranger,.. just have to do your homework a little.

Pods would definitely work,.. but I'm not a personal fan of the large pods that take up leg room with people kicking them and so on,.. but they do make for excellent sound of course. If it were my I'd grab some pre-fabbed brackets to convert your 6x8 slots to fit 6.5".. OR build (or buy) some MDF adapter/spacers if needed.

Maybe some others have Rangers and can help you a little more specifically.

You can definitely do it though.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.