(aeroport box) Need some quick help

Participant count
  • Participant list

glock18

i need to build a 1.5ft^3 box tuned to 35 hz. the subwoofer i have is a boss outlaw L12. On the specifications it says all already stated but it needs a aerofort to be 4" in diameter and 12" long.

Nows the questions.... it says " box is given as internal air volume including driver displacement", i dont really understand this statement, do i need to calculate the volume my subwoofer is going to take up in the box and add more volume to the box so it can have 1.5ft^3?

Do i need to add more volume to compensate for the volume that the port will take up? (of the port is inside the box)

Does it matter if the aeroport is outside the box or in the box?

It says a 4" diameter aeroport 12" long will tune the box to 35hz, if i add another aeroport the same size will it effect the tuning?

And lastly does it matter where the aeroport is located on the box? (ex. near sub, faceing same side, etc)

Yes

Yes

Yes

And kinda

You will need to compensate for driver and aeroport displacement so box needs to be closer to 2 cubes

hence, port in or out affects the size of the box.

adding another port changes the tuning of the box so if you want to run two ports so the box can look better, run two smaller ports with the same internal volume as the single port.

The direction of the port will make a difference but that changes from vehicle to vehicle there is no one way, its one of those things that you just have to build it and see which way sounds better.

the sub displacement is usually listed by the manufacturer... but since you have a boss (which i wont even go into, right now)... i wouldnt put it past them not to list it. i'm going to take a guestimate of around .15 cubed for that driver... but thats only a guestimate.... it could be alot more, or less

if the recomended volume listed on it says "after sub displacement", then they have probably already taken the port displacement into account. otherwise, it would most likely say "net volume" or "final volume" ... but once again, it is boss, so you never know.

only use one aero... adding a second will drop your tuning, and screw up vent mach.

i would use the port internal, external will add volume to the box... but like i've said before, it is boss, so its hard to say what the idiots there are putting on paper these days.

with all that being said... understand this. you are building a system around a "bottom of the barrel" sub. please dont expect much from it. my suggestion, would be to upgrade to a well built sub, before spending time and money on a boss

thank you both of you, my questions are answered, and ya i know you guys on the forums hate boss audio but the boss outcast L12 isnt to bad haha, if u hate boss i wont even say what kind of amp i have(lol) Once again thanks to the both of you for the fast and insightful reply's

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.