Aero port spacing question!

Participant count
  • Participant list

Pauly187
10+ year member

So there has been some back and forth that I have read regarding the spacing between the flared aero port and the back wall!

Psp memo that the ports came with said that a 1inch minimum is required although others have said if you have a 6inch flaired port that it will need a six inch spacing between the back wall and port!

Others say that the rule only applies for slot ports, which is it?

Well, it's a matter of physics. If you want to send an unrestricted column of air through a six inch tube, compressing into a one inch entry before sending down that tube is going to affect the velocity of the column of air.

The whole idea of aero ports and flared/rounded end ports of any kind is to reduce turbulence that restricts the smooth flow of air in and out of the vent. When you restrict that air inside the box, you introduce turbulence as well.

Some might say that they've built boxes with the port closer than one width to the back wall of the box and they sound fine. That may be true, but the only way to reference "fine" is to build the identical box with the correct spacing for the port and then do a side by side comparison... with an RTA.

So no one has every really tested this out? I understand and can see how a 1inch gap may choke the flow of air, but with that said psp most of done some type of test to determine a 1inch minimum requirement?

Has anyone here ran a 1inch gap and noticed any noticeable problems?

There are calculations you can do, to find exactly how close is to close. You have to figure out the surface area left in between the back wall and around the flare, so it'd be finding circumference of the inner flare then multiplying it by the distance between the back wall. If that surface area is smaller or equal to the surface area in your port, then it can do something like make your port length longer (as in affecting tuning). I just don't like to push aero's like that. I like full diameter from back wall.

How many hrz may someone risk dropping running a 6inch flared port 1inch from the back wall?
Not really that much. The big thing is that it causes turbulence being that close. The flares are sharp as well, no smooth on the outside, so squeezing through that small gap just doesn't seem like the best way to do it.

How many hrz may someone risk dropping running a 6inch flared port 1inch from the back wall?
Not really that much. The big thing is that it causes turbulence being that close. The flares are sharp as well, no smooth on the outside, so squeezing through that small gap just doesn't seem like the best way to do it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.