Advice on these two speakers

Participant count
  • Participant list

Nate88

Hey I'm looking at purchasing a new set of speakers for my 02 Dodge Dakota. And I can't decide between these two speakers I'm just wanting your opinion on what might sound better. These will be externally amped by a 4 channel amp rated at 100w rms x 4

MB Quart PVM116 coax

Or

Kicker CSS674 component

The truck factory speakers are 6 3/4" but I could easily make the MB quarts fit if they will sound better

Thanks for any input you have!

I'm looking for clarity and crisp clean sound. I want a high quality system that will recreate live acoustic music such as jazz or orchestral. With a great sound stage. I know components have the upper hand on that but if the MB quarts are better quality with reproduction then ill go with them. I listen to a lot of different music mostly classic rock and underground hip hop. But I enjoy everything. I have a 12 band parametric equalizer to tune it to my liking as well. The system will be paired with one 10 or 12 inch sub in a sealed box too.

You think those MB Quart coaxials sound better than the Kicker components?
I know it looked like I was comparing those speakers, but I'm not. I'm saying that's a poor generalization, especially when looking at entry level components.

I'm looking for clarity and crisp clean sound. I want a high quality system that will recreate live acoustic music such as jazz or orchestral. With a great sound stage. I know components have the upper hand on that but if the MB quarts are better quality with reproduction then ill go with them. I listen to a lot of different music mostly classic rock and underground hip hop. But I enjoy everything. I have a 12 band parametric equalizer to tune it to my liking as well. The system will be paired with one 10 or 12 inch sub in a sealed box too.
Between those two choices I wouldn't expect stellar results, even with an amp on the speakers and that equalizer at hand. With component speakers it matters where the tweeters are placed and aimed. Where would you put them?

Between those two choices I wouldn't expect stellar results, even with an amp on the speakers and that equalizer at hand. With component speakers it matters where the tweeters are placed and aimed. Where would you put them?
Very true. It's just what the budget can afford haha. if you think another set between the $100-150 range would sound better, I'm open to suggestions. The front tweeters would be mounted on the side view mirror cover. So they would be aimed more towards the listener. And the rear would be towards the upper rear of the door panel. Possibly the c-pillar facing towards the front.

Also I just realized MB quart has the same speakers in component form haha

MB Quart PVM216

The front tweeters would be mounted on the side view mirror cover. So they would be aimed more towards the listener.
This is good.

And the rear would be towards the upper rear of the door panel. Possibly the c-pillar facing towards the front.
This I don't like so much. Stick with coaxials for the back and fade the sound toward the front or put more money into the front speakers.

The PVM216 components look quite nice. I have a couple of options in that price range.

I was just thinking about that. theres really no need for the components in the rear. Ok so I'm thinking the MB quart coax for the rear and the MB components up front? That would offset the higher price too.

I was just thinking about that. theres really no need for the components in the rear. Ok so I'm thinking the MB quart coax for the rear and the MB components up front? That would offset the higher price too.
I like this idea //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

6.5" coaxials in the back? I have a package of CDT components and coaxials for $249.
Ooo I like! Do you think these will sound better? I also have a 200w RMSx 4 amp laying around. Do you think that would be too much? And also free shipping?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.