Advice needed

Participant count
  • Participant list

Jpar28

CarAudio.com Newbie
I have a boss audio 2 channel amp that’s 450w rms at 4 ohm bridged and a single alpine type s 12” dual voice coil 4ohm sub in a 1.6 cubic foot slot potted box. I can wire the sub at 2 ohm witch overloads the amp or at 8 ohm witch is where I have it now. It runs good now but lacks the thunder lol. My question is, is there anyway to know how much power I’m putting to the sub with it wired at 8 ohm? Any recommendations on a good amp for this sub? I’m considering getting another type s 12 and going back to a sealed box. Would the amp I currently have be enough power to run two of these subs? It’s 600 watt rms by two channel at 2 ohms. Thanks for any answers

Your boss amp likely won't do 450 on a 4 ohm load. You can figure about half the wattage @ 8 ohms vs 4. boss amps are  typically over rated. 600 watts on a type s is plenty of power. 

single alpine type s 12” dual voice coil 4ohm sub in a 1.6 cubic foot slot potted box. It runs good now but lacks the thunder lol. 
Worrying if your power is enough is all well and good, but I'm wondering if the enclosure is tuned/designed for your musical tastes. Did you put the thing in a prefab?.. In my experience even lower power will get that sub moving pretty good.

Just curious OP

More than likely you are going to need a better quality amplifier for a pair of those subs to get them moving and getting some kind of power to make them sound decent.Id recommend a fairly decent mono amp.Id run the boss on front stage for now till you get another 2 ch amplifier of quality.Not knowing your budget, but a decent amplifier for the sub/subs and have power to run them, Id look at something such as this.

https://soundqubed.com/product/s1-2250/ 

or you can get one of these for now or the 850 series and strap them later for the other sub/ buy another and strap them

https://soundqubed.com/product/s1-1250/

Want go cheap, the Orion Cobalts are on sale and should have more power than the Boss you have. You may even look at an Audio Pipe 2k or 3 k,

https://store.soundsolutionsaudio.com/products/orion-cobalt-cb2500-2d-class-d-amp-2500-watts-1-ohm-mono-5000-watts-max.html

Not the best of amps, but Id deff run one of these over the Boss amp you have for the money,You could snag 2 and run one on each sub, gain match and be fine

shredder2 said:
Worrying if your power is enough is all well and good, but I'm wondering if the enclosure is tuned/designed for your musical tastes. Did you put the thing in a prefab?.. In my experience even lower power will get that sub moving pretty good.

Just curious OP
I put it in a prefab box yes. First time I’ve ever used a ported box too. I’m used to sealed box but friend told me that the ported would be better for the back of my suv

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.