Adhesive for Wood to Roof brace? Link me some Brands.

Participant count
  • Participant list

Jeffdachef
5,000+ posts

Gunz That Turn on Nunz
Starting my roof bracing job today with some 3/4 ply, not sure what brand is best and preferably economical to use to get the wood to stick to the roof.

Stuff I have read up on or been recommended are

JB weld - Expensive seeing how they only sell it in small tubes.

Silicone - heard it gives a decoupling layer between the wood and the metal, not sure about its strength or what brand of silicone to use.

Liquid Nails - again, there's like 15 different versions of liquid nails, not sure which is the best.

Any suggestions or recommendations would be great thanks guys!

doing construction as long as i have my go to glue is f26. i use loctite powergrab flawless results for box building. i think either would be plenty for what ur trying to do. both will stick wood to metal and since u won't be looking at it; i would use f26 as there's no need for clear glue were u can't see to begin with.

Are there any internal ribs you can make use of?
2xTcrwY.jpg

i have hung an entire 3/4" sheet to a roof of a suburban only using great stuff and about 15 proprods and it held. i still used screws as well but it was just the foam for a couple days with zero issues at all. in my current project i am using the loctite pl375 and it works great. the **** is rock solid and dries in about 3-5 min. full cure in about 18-24 hrs as long as you are not using it as a gap filler.

I would take advantage of those ribs. If you put wood strips on the ribs, screw 3-6 manageable pieces of 1/2 plywood to the strips. This will spread the load out evenly to the ribs. Stretch fabric over the wood to get your headliner back. This will allow you to reverse the process if you change your mind or resell the suv.

I would take advantage of those ribs. If you put wood strips on the ribs' date=' screw 3-6 manageable pieces of 1/2 plywood to the strips. This will spread the load out evenly to the ribs. Stretch fabric over the wood to get your headliner back. This will allow you to reverse the process if you change your mind or resell the suv.[/quote']
This van is staying with me till it dies so im going for perma stick. But yeah was gonna make good use of those cross braces in many ways.

PL 400 is what's I used. It does not dry fast, but once it does not to many things hold better. I screwed and glued 3/4 ply to the cross members, then drilled some small holes in the ply for access. I then stuck the nozzle of the great stuff can in the holes I drilled and filled in the empty space. The roof stiffened up like solid wood. I've hit it with a mallet and no dents.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.