Add midrange speaker?

Participant count
  • Participants list

danielnews

CarAudio.com Recruit
Hey all,

Very new to the car audio install game. I’m putting together a little system for my Toyota Corolla (95) and wanted to hear some different opinions.

So far I've replaced the factory speakers (4 4-inch speakers) with Polk DB 401s (rms 135 W) and I also picked up an enclosed JL-12, 12" sub. The head unit I have is this cool higher end (in the day) JVC cassette receiver head (8 watts front, 22 watts rear) that has an aux (walkman lol) port. I was considering just picking up a Pioneer GM-9705 to power everything.

Here’s my question. My hunch is that it would be good to get something a bit more midrange to work between the 4 4-inch speakers and the 12 inch sub. Or do you think the sub will cover the spectrum up to the tweeters? Do you think that ideally I would have some more midrange speaker (s) running? What about a combo enclosed box with a sub and two 8 inch speakers, if that exists? I’d also consider hacking some into the car panels somehow...

Any advice or ideas would be very appreciated!

Absolutely not.

Those Polk speakers will play down to 85hz as long as they are properly installed.

The front doors should be 4" and the rear deck lid speakers 6.5"s according to Crutchfield.

thank you,

I forgot to mention it’s a corolla dx wagon, so they are all 4 inch speakers.

ah yes I had it backwards, i remember now, the speakers will cover down

do you think this will be good? Or is something more ideal?

thank you,

I forgot to mention it’s a corolla dx wagon, so they are all 4 inch speakers.

ah yes I had it backwards, i remember now, the speakers will cover down

do you think this will be good? Or is something more ideal?

I think it will be fine. Kinda hard to do anything else when your limited to 4" speakers.

I would definitely upgrade your headunit though. lol

I think it will be fine. Kinda hard to do anything else when your limited to 4" speakers.

I would definitely upgrade your headunit though. lol

ah gotcha! that’s why I was asking if it would be worth cutting bigger speaker holes in the panels to put a pair of bigger guys in as well — or finding a box with a couple bigger speakers, or if it won’t make that much of a diff.

lol would u really give up this badboy?? (Pic below)

I don’t know much about stereo heads but im sure it’s pretty clean and the amp would be doing the main job anyway so should sound pretty good no??

Or do ya just mean get rid of tapes cause theyre outdated af haa

I actually really like the compression boost that comes outta tape but ill probably put bluetooth in too at some point

Attachments

• 18CA1AB2-0AF6-4735-898D-B0FAE4E8F708.jpeg
    18CA1AB2-0AF6-4735-898D-B0FAE4E8F708.jpeg
    47.4 KB · Views: 63
I tried looking up that headunit and can't find anything. Does it even have rca preouts? Does it have 3 sets to run a 5 channel amp? Or are you planning on using high level inputs?

Does it have any type of EQ or crossover points?

oof I know it has rca outs...

I can’t find it online either but I have the booklet, won’t be able to get to it til Monday though damn

At one point I found the brochure for this model and they sold an equalizer as a separate unit and an amp as a separate unit, if that helps

I don’t know too much about how crossover works, I always thought crossover took place at the main amp (i was looking at getting a pioneer 5 channel amp)

oof I know it has rca outs...

I can’t find it online either but I have the booklet, won’t be able to get to it til Monday though damn

At one point I found the brochure for this model and they sold an equalizer as a separate unit and an amp as a separate unit, if that helps

I don’t know too much about how crossover works, I always thought crossover took place at the main amp (i was looking at getting a pioneer 5 channel amp)

You can use the amps crossovers. Just easier to play around with crossover points when the headunit has them. Just push a button instead of turning the pots on the amp multiple times to find the sweet spot.

Ah yeah I imagine. Could you link to an equalizer and put it in the dash? I would only have a bass attenuation knob that comes with the Pioneer amp. Guess I could also just set crossover at the amp and forget it

You can use the amps crossovers. Just easier to play around with crossover points when the headunit has them. Just push a button instead of turning the pots on the amp multiple times to find the sweet spot.

Ah yeah I imagine. Could you link to an equalizer and put it in the dash? I would only have a bass attenuation knob that comes with the Pioneer amp. Guess I could also just set crossover at the amp and forget it

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.