ACTIVE X-OVER SPEAKER OWNERS: Please list your drivers and x-overs points?

AlphaKenny,

Thanks for the listing as well as all the other informative postings. I ditched my rearfill tonight and will rewire my setup tomorrow to accomodate a 2-way active front stage. A pain but as you said, I'm sure to have fun tweaking.

While I find the DLS 6.2 Iridiums (in it's current passive state) much more refined from my last CDT HD62 setup, I must admit that I missed the midbass from that 6.5in Vifa driver. The 65-80Hz range just doesn't slam any more; however, the 125 and above reallly, really shines!

I'm curious about the Seas Lotus Ref (or Pros) as well. I don't like harsh sounding metal tweeters but not laid back either -- something in between. The Seas interestes me as well as 3.5Max's Rainbow Power CS Cal27. And since I definitely do not have room for a 3-way active frontstage, a 6.5in with good midbass is a must. I'm curious if the Seas Lotus 6.5 Ref midbass peform as well.

Are the gaps between the mid and the tweet very noticable? Especially when corssing at 24 db slope, I would figure in some cases, losing a several hundedred hertz band of music.

also lol wanna sell me the reference tweets?
I have to keep the lotus reference tweeters. I'm only going to use the prototype tweeters temporarily, just to see what I can do with them //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/redface.gif.62fdbfe1a101588a808c4cff71bcb942.gif

Althought I can get you a used set of Seas Lotus reference tweeters (aluminum version). //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

What's wrong with your slope? The only problem I see is the crossover point. You're crossing the mids and horns at 1.0khz on 12db slope. This means there is quite a bump from 500hz to 2khz, moreso at 1khz (probably a huge peak). Raise the crossover for the horns to 1.2khz and LP the midrange to about 800hz on a 12db slope. You do not want the cross the mids and horns at the same frequency. Frequency response will be off will sound unnatural.

thanks for replying

but I have them crossed the horns @ 18dbs..not 12dbs

but I will follow your advice with raising the xover to 1.2 khz (should I leave it at 18dbs?)

thanks again

bodge, i think jntar has a review of the seas lotus reference mids on here. http://forums.caraudio.com/vb/showthread.php?t=128519. he says that the reference mids definately have good midbass. i would actually get those but as Gsteg said they are similiar and the performance can be had for half the price of the reference. i'm actually too lazy for a 3 way active. so like you, midbass from the 6.5 is a high priority.

I have to keep the lotus reference tweeters. I'm only going to use the prototype tweeters temporarily, just to see what I can do with them //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/redface.gif.62fdbfe1a101588a808c4cff71bcb942.gif

Althought I can get you a used set of Seas Lotus reference tweeters (aluminum version). //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
oh trust me the prototypes will suit you fine. they sound **** good. hmmm, pm me the price on the tweets.

Are the gaps between the mid and the tweet very noticable? Especially when corssing at 24 db slope, I would figure in some cases, losing a several hundedred hertz band of music.

Not noticeable. Remember, when you're crossing over at a frequency, it doesn't mean frequencies thereafter wont be played.

Example: HPing tweeters at 2.0khz @ 12db/octave

From 2.0khz on down, the response of the tweeters is decreasing. At 2.0khz, the tweeters are at 0db (0db is the reference). At 1.5khz, the response is down by -6db. At 1.0khz, the response is down by -12db.

When you have a gap like that, it's easier to blend in because of the transition between the two drivers. If you have the crossover point at the same frequency, you'll run into problem because both of your drivers will produce the same frequency at a much higher volume. This will create an unnatural sound.

thanks for replying
but I have them crossed at 18dbs..not 12dbs

but I will follow your advice with raising the xover to 1.2 khz (should I leave it at 18dbs?)

thanks again
Eh. I was looking at your post and the midrange is crossed with a 12db slope. Keep the slopes the same. Just adjust your crossover points instead.

oh trust me the prototypes will suit you fine. they sound **** good. hmmm, pm me the price on the tweets.
I love the prototypes. Makes the lotus reference sound sterile //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

I will PM you price when I actually talk to the owner. lol.

D A M N you guys posts FAST!
Gsteg,

Is MobileSQ the definitive source to obtain Seas Lotus drivers?
Yes. MobileSQ is the only distributor for Lotus by Seas. There are variations of Seas drivers:

Excel by Seas

Basic by Seas

Lotus by Seas

Lotus is the car audio version. Basic and Excel are the home audio version.

If you want, I can get you in contact with a sales rep //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Not noticeable. Remember, when you're crossing over at a frequency, it doesn't mean frequencies thereafter wont be played.
Example: HPing tweeters at 2.0khz @ 12db/octave

From 2.0khz on down, the response of the tweeters is decreasing. At 2.0khz, the tweeters are at 0db (0db is the reference). At 1.5khz, the response is down by -6db. At 1.0khz, the response is down by -12db.

When you have a gap like that, it's easier to blend in because of the transition between the two drivers. If you have the crossover point at the same frequency, you'll run into problem because both of your drivers will produce the same frequency at a much higher volume. This will create an unnatural sound.

Makes perfect sense...thanks.

the slope is kinda like the rate of attenuation (assuming that is the correct word when meaning a decreasing response at frequencies)

so...horns at 1.2 khz and up @ 18dbs
mids at 1.2 khz and down @ 12dbs?

one more thing...Gsteg...I wanted to know what your thoughts are about the Diyma mids
Try this:

horns: 1.2khz @ 18db

mids: 800hz @ 12db or 18db

Try both the 12db and 18db for the mids and see which one sounds better to you. With this crossover point, the horns will roll of pretty steep, but the mids will have enough extention pass 800hz to recover some frequencies.

haven't had any experience with DIYMA mids obviously, but I'm going to get a pair later on. I can't wait. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.