Active vs. Passive

Participant count
  • Participant list
On-the-fly control of crossover points/slopes, level adjustment, time delay, equalization. Much better control over driver behavior without all the lossy components in the circuit. Massive gains in headroom because high frequency waveforms are not riding on low frequency waveforms (similar to what is seen here).

images

biamp-f3b.gif

You can usually run a bit more power to each, biggest reason is to be able to choose your crossover points to suit your install/equipment/ears and T/A.

Edit: Ciaonzo said it better. As usual lol.

You can usually run a bit more power to each, biggest reason is to be able to choose your crossover points to suit your install/equipment/ears and T/A.

Edit: Ciaonzo said it better. As usual lol.
Hey, we're on the same track buddy. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/graduate.gif.d982460be9f153bb54e5d4cb744f6ae8.gif
keep_hope_alive will roll through here and really lay it down, lol.

On-the-fly control of crossover points/slopes, level adjustment, time delay, equalization. Much better control over driver behavior without all the lossy components in the circuit. Massive gains in headroom because high frequency waveforms are not riding on low frequency waveforms (similar to what is seen here).
images

biamp-f3b.gif
Alright, so I have an MS-8, so if I run everything through that and leave out the mechanical crossovers I will be running active right?

What about building custom cross overs and mounting the tweeter close to the midbass and just using the TA and EQ the 2-way HU has? Other than changing cross over points on the fly. Seems like you could achieve just as good SQ that way.

Adjust crossover frequency and slopes. Adjust the level of each individual driver. Passive crossovers can't do this. Passive crossovers are always a trade off since each car has its own peculiarities with respect to woofer and tweeter placement (degrees off axis, path lenth differences) and internal reflections. With a good DSP you can also adjust time delay for each driver involved.

What about building custom cross overs and mounting the tweeter close to the midbass and just using the TA and EQ the 2-way HU has? Other than changing cross over points on the fly. Seems like you could achieve just as good SQ that way.
You could. This seems like a lot of work though. Crossover design is not trivial, or at least not as simple as adjusting it on the fly on the DSP.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.