Active speaker system opinion

Participant count
  • Participant list

SlugButter

CarAudio.com VIP
arizona
Debating on running an active setup on 2 channel amps that will be built into pods in my doors, eliminating amps under my seats. the class D amp boards i will be building run at around 50-60 watts rms per channel. Last system I did used passive crossovers. ive never run active before. the sub I’m using will be a Dayton audio ultimax 10 inch in a 4th order band pass on 600 rms watts. These are the initial speakers I have chosen. I am definitely open to changing them.

The Dayton midbass is rated at 40 watts, but in a sealed pod Im hoping the output will be ok. If I’m going to build amplifier boards(along with some other modules to control power, etc.) into the pods, I can’t get much bigger than 50 rms x 2 in each pod. Are there any speakers you guys would suggest that would fit my bill? My other option is to build mono amps into the pods and just run 100 watt rms coaxials, but that would be the easiest route, not necessarily the best for sound quality.

Debating on running an active setup on 2 channel amps that will be built into pods in my doors, eliminating amps under my seats. the class D amp boards i will be building run at around 50-60 watts rms per channel. Last system I did used passive crossovers. ive never run active before. the sub I’m using will be a Dayton audio ultimax 10 inch in a 4th order band pass on 600 rms watts. These are the initial speakers I have chosen. I am definitely open to changing them.

The Dayton midbass is rated at 40 watts, but in a sealed pod Im hoping the output will be ok. If I’m going to build amplifier boards(along with some other modules to control power, etc.) into the pods, I can’t get much bigger than 50 rms x 2 in each pod. Are there any speakers you guys would suggest that would fit my bill? My other option is to build mono amps into the pods and just run 100 watt rms coaxials, but that would be the easiest route, not necessarily the best for sound quality.

I definitely think you can get way more than 50 rms for a pod build. heck you can even get two alpine power pack and bridge them as well and get 90 watts.

these nano amps are tiny and will have more than enough power for you and they fit the size of your pocket. 125 watts rms per channel at 12.6 volts and 150 x 2 at 14.4 volts.

amp dyno just if you doubt their power ratings, of course this is with their monoblock tho.

I might actually consider those. I used to run the xtant 1.1 amps way back in the day. They had no features to speak of. Only a gain adjustment. All the features on these amps are unnecessary in my application, except the gain, since I’m controlling everything from the deck anyway.

One of the problems is that since I’m building directly in the pod, I would need a gain knob on the door panel. With raw amp boards I can just solder on the board and run the gain knob next to the speaker on the outside of the door panel. Really don’t want to pull door panels off all the time to adjust it. I wonder if I can solder a gain control directly onto that soundigitals amp board and run it independent? I’ve never seen those. Now I’m extremely intrigued.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.