Acoustic loading and wall explanation

Participant count
  • Participant list
my IB setups could play to 12Hz on much less than 200W with very little excursion.

12Hz_AccordTrunk.jpg

accordtrunk_IBwall_finish036.jpg

accordtrunk_IBwall_finish032.jpg

my IB setups could play to 12Hz on much less than 200W with very little excursion.
12Hz_AccordTrunk.jpg

accordtrunk_IBwall_finish036.jpg

accordtrunk_IBwall_finish032.jpg
That's impressive. I don't know what my IB build did. I had a Sundown X-10 on a Visonik v4000xd. Sounded good, but wasn't loud enough //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif

That's impressive. I don't know what my IB build did. I had a Sundown X-10 on a Visonik v4000xd. Sounded good, but wasn't loud enough //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif
i used to want bass so loud it was dominant. then i came to appreciate having a sound stage that had bass that appeared to come from the dash. that ended up resulting in a tame sub level which resulted in an appreciation in accurate reproduction of music.

i used to want bass so loud it was dominant. then i came to appreciate having a sound stage that had bass that appeared to come from the dash. that ended up resulting in a tame sub level which resulted in an appreciation in accurate reproduction of music.
We can always appreciate a good SQ system. However that SPL bug always seems to come around and bite you in the butt every now and then. Same thing when you have an spl system, that SQ bug bites you hard too.

Any comment on the midbass questions in the previous posts?

I have an nvx rca level controller between my head unit and sub amp. I set gains with it on max. I can lower the sub level whenever I feel like it

xbrc.jpg

Its just an L-pad

I love sq, and bass, sq is what the wifes jeep is for and mine will be for spl. but I hardly ever drive mine, maybe I will more often once it is done.......

I have one of those but mine is the 2 knob, 1 freq. and one +- db , want the audio control in dash tho.

Any comment on the midbass questions in the previous posts?
not sure what else needs discussion - sounds like you've treated your doors pretty well. but doors are large volumes and the "kick in the chest" usually comes from a high-Q sealed enclosure with lots of power.

not sure what else needs discussion - sounds like you've treated your doors pretty well. but doors are large volumes and the "kick in the chest" usually comes from a high-Q sealed enclosure with lots of power.
So I would have to fiberglass an in door enclosure with smaller cubic feet compared to the whole door cavity, get a beefy midbass driver and overload it with power in order to achieve it for my particular setup?

So I would have to fiberglass an in door enclosure with smaller cubic feet compared to the whole door cavity, get a beefy midbass driver and overload it with power in order to achieve it for my particular setup?
putting the midbass in an enclosure will change the Q, and higher Q results in a "punchy" response. people usually build an enclosure on the surface of the door - but you can cut away metal and replace with an enclosure that also recesses in the door (the enclosure will reinforce the door anyway.

putting the midbass in an enclosure will change the Q, and higher Q results in a "punchy" response. people usually build an enclosure on the surface of the door - but you can cut away metal and replace with an enclosure that also recesses in the door (the enclosure will reinforce the door anyway.
"Sound quality" subwoofers have a higher Q, right? Correct me if I'm wrong, but that is my limited understanding

"Sound quality" subwoofers have a higher Q, right? Correct me if I'm wrong, but that is my limited understanding
not as simple as that. a speaker is designed for an application, and the Qes, Qms, and Qts are decided based on the intended application (in simplified terms).

generically speaking, a total Q of 0.707 is considered the goal for SQ. the total Q is the final result of the speaker in the enclosure. when you design the enclosure, you usually have a total Q in mind - and the enclosure/speaker combination determines the total Q.

Last edited by a moderator:
not as simple as that. a speaker is designed for an application, and the Qes, Qms, and Qts are decided based on the intended application (in simplified terms).
generically speaking, a total Q of 0.707 is considered the goal for SQ. the total Q is the final result of the speaker in the enclosure. when you design the enclosure, you usually have a total Q in mind - and the enclosure/speaker combination determines the total Q.
I didn't know the enclosure had anything to do with Q. I've just modeled them by volume and tuning with a particular port area and volume.

I was going to build the biggest Fiberglass enclosure I could, tuned to 27 hz with as much port area as I can. Then, get my 9512's re-coned with soft parts to best suit whatever the enclosure turned out to be.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.