Acceleration Problem

Participant count
  • Participant list

GrandPrixDriver
10+ year member

Grizzled.
I got my first car about a year ago and it's a 1994 grand am, it ran fine until about 3 months ago when things started to go wrong. First thing was that the heater core had went out on it. I got that fix and it started to run fine, until I started to notice the service engine soon light turned on all the time after about 5 minutes of driving. After that had happened about 2 weeks ago my car started to run funny when I start it up. The car would start up fine but when I try to accelerate, the car acts like it doesn't want to go. I would put the pedal to the floor and yet my RPM's would stay at about 1 and I would only be going about 10 MPH. Sometimes the car would even shut off on me while I am still trying to accelerate. After my car turns off, I would try and quick start it back up. Problem is, my car won't turn over. I have to wait a minute or two and try to start it back up. It starts up fine and runs fine after that. What would be the problem and should I worry about it?

sounds like you may have a bad catalytic converter when they go bad it's like a potato in the tail pipe, cheap fix gut it with a coat hanger

could be a number of stuuf dude, especially with high power and multiple amp setups. definately sounds electrical, like a throttle positioning sensor or something else that is either bad or not getting enough power to work properly.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.