SLOW acceleration in drive

Participant count
  • Participant list

bigwheel15
10+ year member

Ooh Yeah!!
Alright well I have a 1995 jeep Cherokee with an auto trans and since I've owned it I've been noticing something strange. When I put the vehicle into drive it accelerates extremely slow, to the point if im sitting at a light at the bottom of a steep hill it wont make it up.

However if I take off with the trans down in first it accelerates just fine. Ive checked the trans fluid several times and its okay. I don't know too much about trans so hopefully you guys can help me out.

On an automatic transmission, if you do the whole first to second to drive thing alot, it will eventually be a crap tranny and not pull great or just break....

It could be anything in the drivetrain but you shouldn't expect a jeep to go fast anyway....

On an automatic transmission, if you do the whole first to second to drive thing alot, it will eventually be a crap tranny and not pull great or just break....
It could be anything in the drivetrain but you shouldn't expect a jeep to go fast anyway....
I don't regularly shift the trans, I just tried it in first to see if there was a difference and noticed it accelerated normally.

And I don't expect it to go fast, im talking about it is just ridiculous how slow it accelerates, to the point it cant make it up semi-steep hills from a stop. Ive driven another jeep Cherokee one year newer than mine and it didn't experience the problem im having with mine.

Im hoping I can just get an idea of what might be the cause or different things I should have checked.

Its most likely the 1-2 shift selonoid has gone bad. The test you did is a good test to find out if its electrical or mechanical. If you can put it down in first gear and take off fine. The trans is okay. There are a couple of other threads on jeeps I have posted in about this some what same problem. Try searching for them....

Other then that. Doing all the seloniods wouldnt be a bad thing. There are three I think pretty sure on it. Been a few since I did mine. But they dont cost that much if you search online for a trans store.

I have no problem with my jeep going fast. Or taking off fast.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.