Absolutely cannot get engine noise and altenator whine to stop[SNAP-CRACKLE-POP]

Does anyone have any experience replacing/fixing the pico fuse on DOUBLE DIN / AVH models specifically? All the online guides are for the single din models that I can find. As I said above I sit here with my disassembled head unit only to not be ale to find a pico fuse
As well my rca outs are/have been grounded with all these problems still occurring. I have seemingly got rid of the altenator noise but the same snap crackle pop plagues me
This may be a key. You said the popping doesn't change with engine speed, and it goes away if you unplug the RCAs from the amp. My logic says that the cables are picking up something electrical, but what that could be is a mystery. Especially if it's only there with the engine running. Hmmm...

Here's an idea, since you seem to be at the end of your rope - A Google of American Legacy 4 channel amps says you should have speaker level inputs. You could eliminate the RCA cables completely (and the associated ground loop issues) by feeding the amp with speaker level signals. Contrary to popular belief the SQ difference is negligible, and the low impedance of speaker lines is much less susceptable to noise pickup than RCA lines. Give it a shot.

**** dude I wish you was closer I would take some time to help ya out just for the challenge. Btw I have replaced the pico fuse in my old AVH - its very close to the rca line outs on the internal pcb (google images). These components are very small and require a **** good knowledge of soldering and some knowledge of working on these //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

ONE of the ways you can tell its the pico fuse, with the rcas disconnected AT the head unit, put everything back and turn it on. (make sure the disconnected rca cables are not touching anything etc.). Now go drive or rev your car up and if there is no noise then thats either THE problem or one of it.

Sometimes bad or loose components in the preamp stage of the amp can cause this noise and the only EASY way you will find that out is by swapping amps.

Good Luck!

New rcas made it a tiny bit better but still prevalent. Taking the rcas out from the hu side makes it a little better as well
Did you try a ground loop isolator? Your next bet would be to try another amp. If that does not work check your car's engine to chassis ground, alternator ground, plug wires...

Did you do the big 3 yet?

Did you try a ground loop isolator? Your next bet would be to try another amp. If that does not work check your car's engine to chassis ground, alternator ground, plug wires...
Did you do the big 3 yet?
I have tried a Ground loop isolator. It seemed to help but the problem still there. I might have it set up wrong, its on the amp side of the rca's and has two 'ground' wires that i have both running to the amp ground terminal.

Today i took both the subwoofer and speaker rcas out of the head unit side and there is still(very mute, mind you) ignition noise.

Big thanks to those who chipped in their 2 cents

Last edited by a moderator:
I finally got it working with no popping or whine! What I finally did was actually restore my headunits ground to the factory harness ground. Second, on my ground loop isolator it had 2 grounding wires with the two rca outs. I had these connected to my amp ground terminal. I disconnected these(cut and tape ends) and fired it up. Boom, no ignition noise!

don't give up on car audio, just Pioneer.
I was gonna say, don't give up man. I had pioneer, used to be my fav brand, it saddened me the day i learned the alternater/engine noise (it was loud and bad) was the was caused by it. And I couldn't agree more, don't give up on car audio, it is so rewarding when done right, even when done wrong if you've never had a system before. Stay on the forum, watch product mentions/reviews. See what people generally consider good equipment (most of the time it's the same price as name brand equipment, but competition grade and better quality!) If you can't narrow the cause down start replacing suspected components. It is not usually in my experience the actual vehicle's fault there is noise, normally it is the equipment/install. Pioneer is just notorious for those ungrounded rcas, and them dang pico chips

---------- Post added at 10:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:54 PM ----------

I finally got it working with no popping or whine! What I finally did was actually restore my headunits ground to the factory harness ground. Second, on my ground loop isolator it had 2 grounding wires with the two rca outs. I had these connected to my amp ground terminal. I disconnected these(cut and tape ends) and fired it up. Boom, no ignition noise!
rewarding, the work you did isn't it?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.