A wiring quesiton.

Got a Rockford Fosgate 801S Specs say 200 watts x 2 4 ohm stereo, 800 watts 4 ohm mono, or 2x400 2 ohm stereo

So, If I run a single voice coil sub, run the negative on one channel, the positive off the next, then I would be getting 800 watts in 4 ohm mono with a single voice coil 4ohm sub? Because for some reason, I was thinking you either had to run 2 speakers or more, or dual voice coils to achieve mono mode.

You don't need dual coils to run a mono load. In fact, when you run dual coils, they are connected in either parallel or series so that the amplifier only sees one load. In other words, the amp doesn't know how many different coils it's powering... it just sees the total combined impedance of all coils connected to it. So even if you had 2 woofers connected to the amp as you described, you'd still be running a mono load.

Running those same two woofers connected like you would connect standard mid/high speakers would present a stereo load to the amp.

[quote name='calebkhill']I think... That bridging a 4ohm coil will show the amp a2ohm load.
@maylar;[/QUOTE]

Nope, it's 4 ohms. That's exactly what it's designed to do.

[quote name='maylar']Nope, it's 4 ohms. That's exactly what it's designed to do.[/QUOTE]

So a single vice coil bridged across any amp will still be "bridged at 4ohms"

How does bridging work with dvc, the load changes right? Run both ++ and both -- to amp terminals, your gonna have 2ohm on each channel right?

@maylar;
If you can, explain this whole thing for us....

---------- Post added at 06:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:21 AM ----------

How do you keep a dvc bridged at 4 ohms fur 2 and 4 channel amps?

[quote name='calebkhill']So a single vice coil bridged across any amp will still be "bridged at 4ohms"

How does bridging work with dvc, the load changes right? Run both ++ and both -- to amp terminals, your gonna have 2ohm on each channel right?

@maylar;
If you can, explain this whole thing for us....

---------- Post added at 06:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:21 AM ----------

How do you keep a dvc bridged at 4 ohms fur 2 and 4 channel amps?[/QUOTE]

A sub's impedance is independant from whatever it's hooked up to. A SVC 4 ohm sub is 4 ohms, bridged or not. A DVC 4 ohm wired in parallel is 2 ohms, bridged or not. So, this statement is only true if the SVC is 4 ohms:

So a single vice coil bridged across any amp will still be "bridged at 4ohms"

An amp that can handle 2 ohms per channel will handle 4 ohms bridged. Bridging adds the 2 channels together, doubling the voltage across the load. But the amp has a limit to the current it can output safely, so to not exceed the max current we need to increase the load impedance by a factor of 2. Twice the voltage and twice the impedance is the same current.

I suppose it would be accurate to say that with a 4 ohm bridged load each channel of the amp sees 2 ohms, but IMO that's just making the matter complicated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.