A national network of remote start installers

Participant count
  • Participant list
Hey Gang,

I'm in the process of launching a product that let's you start your car with your phone (like the Viper SmartStart system but better), which will have internet-based sales, including the remote start and/or alarm systems that would pair up with the device.

Ideally, I would like to build a network of installers that could handle all local installs within a certain radius of where they live.

Due to the nature of the startup, I couldn't directly hire installers all across the nation simultaneously, so it'd need to be contract labor, paid per job. This might not be ideal for some, but I know there are a lot of people out there without a job that would jump at the chance for some extra cash, so do you guys have any recommendations on the best place to get started with that?

The thought had crossed my mind that I could contact local trade schools to get in contact with students in fields related to car electronics installations who might be looking for side work, but I also don't know how I'd go about ensuring these people would be good representatives of my company.

And for that matter, I'm not sure what would be the best way to handle compensation. I would like to pay a flat fee per install, but at the same time, I want to encourage quality work, done right the first time. So if I paid a flat fee, it seems like it'd encourage installers to cut corners, but yet if I paid hourly, I don't know of any way to verify that the time was actually needed or that work was actually performed for that amount of time. (I've heard that average remote starter installs take between 2-3 hours, with worst-case scenarios reaching into the 8-hour mark.)

On top of that, I've seen figures for average hourly rates range from $13/hr to $26/hr, and I'd like input on how fair that seems to you all.

Any helpful feedback the members of the CarAudio Forum could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Tim G.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.