A little help. No sound when engine is running.

Participant count
  • Participant list

rodneypierce
10+ year member

Alright, I have a 98 Grand Prix GTP. Just recently installed a system in the car (couple months ago maybe tops)

I have blown 2 subs since (just blew the second one this weekend). I didnt think anything of the first one, as it was old, and I thought one of the voice coils was on the way out anyhow. Well, when this second one blew Im starting to wonder. Each time the sub blows, it kicks the amp off. The radio and everything is still working, just no sound. (gains for sub are set with a DMM, so I know its not due to too much wattage and shouldnt be from clipping).

Now here is where Im stumped. Now after blowing the second sub this weekend, with the car running, there is no sound at all. Amp is on, radio is on and working, but no sound out of the speakers. With it in acc or just on, but not started, everything works perfect. Start the car, and no sound, but everything is on.

I checked voltage at the alternator, and at the battery and fuse box lugs. Its 14.5 at the alternator, and 14.0 at the fuse box lug.

MB Quart 5 channel amp. Eclipse CD7200MKII head unit. Aura 6.5 components.

Any help is appreciated with this. Or even what else to check/trouble shoot. Im lost!

*EDIT* Alright, it doesnt trip the protection on the amp, as the protection LED never lights. It also plays for about 20 seconds when on before the sound stops. Everything else is still working, just no sound. Now get this. I shut the door, let it play until it cut out, then turned the car off (stereo continues to play until you open the door) and a few seconds later, the sound came back. So I havnt a clue here. Clearly the RCA cables and power wire should be fine, as it will play all day long in acc or when the key is just on, but the engine is not running. Once the engine is started, no sound after a few seconds.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.