A freak accident made my buddy's system louder. Can someone explain?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Tehgregzor
10+ year member

Enjoys loud noises.
Murray,KY
So my friend Jason got an Audiobahn 900 watt one channel amp. He had some pawn shop style speakers in one of those prefab bandpass boxes. So i hooked it all up for him, then tuned it to the level i figured this kind of equipment would put out. Fast forward one week, we're all drinkin beers and he pulls up and his **** is wanging hard! I asked him if he got some better subs, and he showed me where on the amp, one of the RCA's got unplugged while putting groceries in there. He was gonna plug it back in but on the way home his subs got way louder, in a good way. What would cause this?

TL;DR: two rcas plugged into amp sounded good, one rca plugged in it sounded great. Why?

I'll check polarity on the speakers. Thanks //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

It's funny that this came up because this actually has happened to me before. I have had a mono amp with 2 rca inputs which was louder with only one rca plugged in. I have a theory as to why this is; I think the input voltage was too high with both rca's plugged in. There are some amps out there that do not perform better a higher rca input voltage.

If I were to venture a guess I would say the signal phase on the rca's are 180 out. cancellation causing the amp to play better with 1ch input instead of 2. How are the rca's connected to the system. Were they fabricated in a factory or did someone connect the ends on themselves?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.