A few Voltage Questions...

Johnny Drama
5,000+ posts

Banned
Dramaville
So when I had the stock wiring on my alt (250a EA) I was getting 14.4v at the full RPM range. At idle I would get a few dips when the stereo was up pretty good.

A month ago I upgraded the power line by adding a 3 ft. strand of 1/0 from the alt to the batt. (please note that I did not upgrade the grounds. They are 4g already and the original power wire was 8 gauge. Being that I dont have a ton of power there is no need for the ground upgrade.)

Here is my issue...Now I am in the mid 15v range at idle. Its great for keeping the stereo voltage up...but how long can it run like this before something gives? Is there a way to add an external regulator to control this? Maybe lower it to 14v when I am cruising around and then bump it back to 15v when I go compete?

Long ass thread I know...

i was alwas told sub 15.2 volts you were fine....dont know if i believe it fully or not anything is to also make sure ur meters are calibrated

I am well above 15.2 volts unfortunatly. Idle now is 15.4v warmed up. 15.6v cold. Sometimes it looks to be close enough to be 16v, but I havent had my DMM handy when that happens...

Most people say that the voltage drops once warmed up, but I am not seeing this.

Its not that I am worried that something is going to pop from a spike...I am more worried about the long term stress that this might cause, if there is any. Just want some knowledgeable folks to chime in.

I may just take it to a local guy to drop the regulator a bit...

Anything above 14.8v isn't good, you'll start boiling and evaporating and eventually leak gas and make it go boom boom, check your alternator voltage regulator or change it, sooner or later if you keep it like this, you'll have serious issues

Could be the internal regulator going out. Anything over 15v will cook most batteries, I know that optimas will start to release gas with anything over 14.8-1.49v and weaken.

Could be the internal regulator going out. Anything over 15v will cook most batteries, I know that optimas will start to release gas with anything over 14.8-1.49v and weaken.

I know its not going out. Cause it did this the day I installed the extra wire.

My stock batt seems to be fine so far, but i dont know how long I want to test this.

Lets take a quick vote...

Adjust the regulator or use an external.

I know its not going out. Cause it did this the day I installed the extra wire.
My stock batt seems to be fine so far, but i dont know how long I want to test this.

Lets take a quick vote...

Adjust the regulator or use an external.
If you can adjust the regulator, I highly recommend doing it.

You cannot use an external regulator with an alternator that has an internal regulator. You would have to send your alternator back in to have a "dummy" regulator installed, then have it wired up for an external regulator.

The only other thing I could recommend is a voltage step-down module, but that would drop the voltage TOO much.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.