A few Fiberglass questions

Participant count
  • Participant list

xxBURT0Nxx
10+ year member

Team Ramrod
I've been thinking about starting on a fiberglass enclosure and have been doing research, however I have a few questions still.

1. Does outside temperature matter when fiberglassing. It's like 40-50 degrees right now and I'm not sure if it really matters how cold it is. Will the fiberglass just take longer to set?

2. When supporting the MDF rings with dowels how secure should those dowels be? Does it need to be able to support the ring if a sub where in it, or is it just to hold the ring in place until the fiberglass cures?

3. This one is kind of hard to explain, but it might make more sense if you look at this picture:

Basically the shape in the back would be a center divider and the box sticking out is the port. My question is once the enclosure is wrapped in fiberglass, do the areas in red need to be sealed off so air isn't going into the closed off chambers, or is it alright?

1. fiberglass resin cures through an exothermic reaction.... but you have to overcome an activiation energy for the reaction to start..... long story short you need to heat it then cool it for the fastest cure time.... use a hair dryer or heat lamp....

2. yes rings need to be secure... use finishing nails, heavy duty staples... or I like industrial strength (yellow) hot glue......

3. Huh ?

Haha, thanks for the reply... I know question 3 is confusing but I don't know how to explain it. Basically, if you have a ported box is it bad to have a chamber where air could get caught and make wierd noises? Kind of like this:

Like does the area marked in red matter if it isn't sealed off. Basically what if the box needed to be that size, but the port had to be in that spot. Should that part on the left in red be sealed off so that it just makes the box that size but isn't part of the inside volume of the box? THanks

If the area in red is not sealed off it will make a huge difference, did you tune the box or are you just screwing wood peices together? Your tuning will change completly with the different amount of airspace.

Yeah the box will be tuned to 37hz, I'm just wondering if that are will make a difference or if it just needs to be accounted for in the volume and it won't matter

the volume of the area in red should be accounted for in the internal ft^3 for the box, but i dont think you have to worry about air getting "trapped" in there.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.