98 mustang amp install. need help!!

Participant count
  • Participant list

badazzDD
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Texas
hey guys. I finally got a new car, a 98 mustang. Nice car, with great sound, just needs more bass. I want to drop in my 1200.1 into it while keeping my stock double unit. One unit is the radio and tape player and the other is a cd player. The only problem i a havig is finding the ignition wire so i can tap into it and run the remote wire. I was told it was the red wire.. however, when i pull out the dash, neither unit has a red wire. The only one i can see is in a clip on the outside of both units, underneath the dash. Is this the ignition wire? Is there any other way i can run the remote wire? Also, who makes really good speaker level converters, i need one to run RCA's to my amp. Thanks,

Adam

Your JBL amp should accept line-level input. I know my 300.1 at least does. Not the greatest option, but it works.

As for the remote turn on... I don't remember what color the wire was, but it's the one that provides power from your tape unit to the cd unit. You should be able to check with a voltmeter.

Actually.. I still have my Mach460 units laying around and maybe have the wiring harnesses still attached. I'll go check and get back to you.

EDIT: I'll have to check in the morning, they're burried under all sorts of stereo equipment right now, and I don't want to make a ton of noise this late at night. Hey, that reminds me, why the hell am I still up at 3:30AM? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/banghead.gif.8606515f668c74f6de0281deb475b6fd.gif

Originally posted by My'97Ram the remote wire on the hu should be a blue wire with a white stripe
That's fine for an aftermarket unit, but the stock units in a Mach460-equipped Stang don't always follow that rule. One of the wires running from the tape unit to the cd unit should be the remote wire, but I can't find the wiring harnesses from my Mach460 stuff, so I can't tell you which one it is. Sorry.

Ah, found a link from my favorites that should explain it:

http://www.flemworld.com/95/mach.html#Schematics

Firsrt and foremost, welcome to the Mustang family. I too have a 1998 Mustang. It's a GT. Very good car for the money and plenty of performance potential if you are willing to get your hands dirty and play with it some. If yours is a GT, definitely look into doing a 2002 head/cam/intake swap on the car sometime in the near future. It'll add about 65-75hp over base and really wakes the 1998 model up.

You will quickly learn that the 1998 was the redheaded stepchild of the SN95 Mustang family. 1998 was a transition year which means that it isn't quite the same as the 1996-97 modular 4.6L cars nor is it the same as the 1999+ cars. A lot of parts were shared between the 1998 GT and the 1998 Cobra to keep cost down. Noteably, the gas tank - a small thing which forces us to find exhaust components made specifically for the 1998 GT/Cobra. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Anyway...

I tried to go the route you are thinking about taking with my sound system and it didn't take long to decide just to gut the Mach460 components and go completely aftermarket. I would highly encourage you to start thinking along those lines.

I re-used the Mach460 tweeter pods in the sail panels, but everything else is gone. It sounds worlds better now too. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Again, welcome to the zoo. And if you haven't done so already, be sure to sign up over on http://www.corral.net and http://www.stangnet.com for the message boards. Lots of helpful information over those, especially Corral.

Thanks for the welcome. I have only been a part of the stang crowd for about 2 weeks. However, it is only a v6.. couldnt afford the insrance on the 96 gt i found. Being as i am only 18. I have been apart of stangnet.com for over a year now, and have visited corral.net, v6power.net, spersixmotorports.com, ad a few others. I just like stangnet a bit better than the rest for info/boards. Also, i dont have the mach 460 sound system. Just the basic setup. I have hooked up many amps/speakers/subs/eq's/crossovers, etc. Just not on a stock set up. Thats why i need to know which wire is the ignition wire.

Thanks for the welcome.

Adam

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.