8w3v3 ported or 10w7 sealed?

Ummagawd

CarAudio.com Newbie
I have a Stelvio (so hatch style open air into the trunk). I’ve already tried replacing the factory 8” with the above sub and while it actually sounds quite good (shockingly good), I find that I’m wanting more volume when I’m driving 40+mph. I listen to hip-hop and EDM, so the low extensions/accuracy are important. Finally, I’ll say that I did come from a 10w7 in HO slot ported box, and I get that I’m probably a bit spoiled. But I got into the stelvio because I need the cargo space (also why I tried upgrading factory sun first). So now I’m willing to put a SMALL box in the cargo, with the intent of being able to move it around (or just take it out) when needed.

My first thought is to put the 8w3v3 into a LAB [slapbox](https://www.lifeafterbass.com/labsl0ftpomd4.html)

My second thought is a 10w7 in a sealed enclosure taking up 14.75x14.75x15.75, that I found someone selling locally for a very reasonable price.

Both would be powered by NVX BDA7051 (the same amp I powered my previous 10w7).

If I can get away with the 8w3 in that LAB box, I’d prefer that as it’s more manageable. But I’m also scared that it still won’t be enough, and that I should just get that 10w7 and KNOW it’ll be good.

If I can get away with the 8w3 in that LAB box, I’d prefer that as it’s more manageable. But I’m also scared that it still won’t be enough, and that I should just get that 10w7 and KNOW it’ll be good.
I'd go with the 10w7. It has more cone area and better power handling. In a hatch, both options will sound good, but if you want to go nuts and crank up the volume, the w7 will be a safer bet. I am currently using a 10" Digital Designs in a 1 cu.ft. sealed box. It sounds great on the bass tracks but mediocre on regular music. But this is in an extended cab pickup, not optimal as opposed to a hatchback.

That slapbox is $230 bucks and 20x12x9

the 10w7 is 320 bucks in a sealed 14.75x14.75x15.75 box.

im thinking they’re both going to be a similar enough of a footprint in my cargo area that I should just get the 10w7. Plus I can probably sell the 8w3 and make the 10w7 an even cheaper route.

the 10w7 will just be considerably heavier lol

I have a Stelvio (so hatch style open air into the trunk). I’ve already tried replacing the factory 8” with the above sub and while it actually sounds quite good (shockingly good), I find that I’m wanting more volume when I’m driving 40+mph. I listen to hip-hop and EDM, so the low extensions/accuracy are important. Finally, I’ll say that I did come from a 10w7 in HO slot ported box, and I get that I’m probably a bit spoiled. But I got into the stelvio because I need the cargo space (also why I tried upgrading factory sun first). So now I’m willing to put a SMALL box in the cargo, with the intent of being able to move it around (or just take it out) when needed.

My first thought is to put the 8w3v3 into a LAB [slapbox](https://www.lifeafterbass.com/labsl0ftpomd4.html)

My second thought is a 10w7 in a sealed enclosure taking up 14.75x14.75x15.75, that I found someone selling locally for a very reasonable price.

Both would be powered by NVX BDA7051 (the same amp I powered my previous 10w7).

Why not go with an 8W7 in a ported box. Put a quick disconnect on the box.

Last edited:
I’d only go with the 8 if you could do a 8w7. Iirc, JL’s 8w7 is over-sized, I don’t remember about the w3.

Any somewhat decent sub will do good in the right box. The box type and style is going to make the biggest difference here, IMO. I listen to rap and edm almost exclusively, and I’d totally try to go ported, if you could.

OP I would consider looking at other brands, too, because other subs might be able to fit your budget and what you want better. I can fit 2 of some 8’s in the ported size for 1 of some other 8’s, for example.

the W7 is a good sealed box subwoofer. I’d put the 10 in 1 full cube If you’re going to run it sealed. They like sealed boxes a little on the larger side.

If I did my math correctly, the sealed box the 10w7 is in is 1.46 cu/ft. So a little bit bigger than what JL recommends. I'm definitely NOT going for loud, so maybe sealed is going to be plenty for me here.

That said, I've been looking at the Skar SDR-12 in their ported box, only because it's so damn cheap.

If I did my math correctly, the sealed box the 10w7 is in is 1.46 cu/ft. So a little bit bigger than what JL recommends. I'm definitely NOT going for loud, so maybe sealed is going to be plenty for me here.

That said, I've been looking at the Skar SDR-12 in their ported box, only because it's so damn cheap.
That Skar SDR is cheap, and they actually don’t sound half bad. That box they put it in is way too small though. The Skar box is the weak point in that setup. That said, the 10w7 will sound so so much better than the Skar would. I did a sealed box about a year ago for a 10w7 in an extended cab truck and I put it in 1.1 cubes sealed. It has a roll off that starts at around 45 HZ in 1.1 cubes, which is a good point for cabin gain to start flattening everything off below that. It sounded really really good.

That Skar SDR is cheap, and they actually don’t sound half bad. That box they put it in is way too small though. The Skar box is the weak point in that setup. That said, the 10w7 will sound so so much better than the Skar would. I did a sealed box about a year ago for a 10w7 in an extended cab truck and I put it in 1.1 cubes sealed. It has a roll off that starts at around 45 HZ in 1.1 cubes, which is a good point for cabin gain to start flattening everything off below that. It sounded really really good.

thank you, I admit I’ve never ventured away from JL, but the price and the many many reviews was compelling.

I will try to pickup that 10w7. If for whatever reason that got sold, there’s a 10w6 that popped upon the market

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...