8s or 10s for 93 Chevy ext cab fullsize

Participant count
  • Participant list
So for a little back ground. Im planning on going with a hifonics brx5000.5 for my amp. I currently have a mtx thunder 600xd. Clamp tested 586 watts at 2ohms 30hz.

Ok so I just bought a new Alpine type S subwoofer. I built a sealed box, yet no matter my eq or position, the sub sounds like crap. Doesn't hit like a ten should. Doesn't really get loud without sounding like crap, all whiny, no punch. So ive decided to go a different route, I'm looking for high SQ but also loud. I need punchy tight responsive bass.

Here's my 8s I'm looking at

Sundown sa-8

Alpine type R

Infinity reference

Kicker comp R

RF p2

I'd be running them under the rear seat firing towards the middle of the truck, with both subs firing towards each other like ......sub(......)sub...... I do not want to do a ported box because I haven't heard any ported boxes have tight responsive bass.

On to the 10s

RF p2,3 or To

alpine type R

Re audio se-x

Mtx t810

The tens will also be in a sealed box, but they will be firing forward towards the front seats.

I know people are going to say 10s are better, more surface area, more sound. Well in general I believe that. But I've heard a lot of 8s sound amazing, and if 2 8s can hit better than this crappy type S I would be ecstatic. The reason I thought of 8s is because of the smaller box and cheaper subwoofer. They still can handle a lot of watts and I believe they could sound great. I also could run a single 10" if I could get the sound I want. Maybe a type r or re audio se-x would be plenty satisfying, but then again two 8s have 16" of surface area vs 10"

Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated.

Those 8"s really wont get you were you want.

99% of the recommendations you will get will be for Sundown Audio SA8's.

If your up for an efficient 8" sub that uses XBL^2 motor topology I have a pair of Adire Audio Koda 8" subs. These will get you were you want to be and more SQ wise, but may not be loud enough for you.

I'm still on the wall about the 8s or 10s. If I bought said 8s built my box, etc. and they didn't get loud enough. My chances of reselling them is pointless unless they went into the house for my surround sound lol and how much on the 8s?

I'm also considering a down firing box design. Everywhere I read 88-98 Chevy ext can needs down fired. In that case, I might not fit a big ten. I'll have to measure more on that idea.

I did a forward firing box with ports to the sides for my two 10s. It gets plenty loud and has that punches bass from the kick drums Btw I have a 97 z71 extra cab

^^^I believe he was talking about his DC Lvl 4 10s.

Why not a single ten ported? If you haven't heard a ported box that sounds good or has a good response, then you haven't heard a good box.

I second the 2510 idea. Or two 1508s if you want to be different.

BTW, cone area /= cone diameter. PiR^2 my friend.

A single ten ported might sound good, how would a big 10 sound in there? Say the se-x re audio? It's a pretty big sub. And I like the way re audio sound. I'll look into the digital design subs for sure.

I have 2 extra ported boxes for 8s one holds 4 the other 2 or 4. Had vfl 8s in them should fit ur truck the box sounded better and deeper with 2 subs only tho

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.