78-88 GM G body owners - advice on budget speaker setup

350Rocket
10+ year member

Hey guys, I have an 84 G body Olds Cutlass and I'm upgrading the stereo this winter. I'm looking to see what others have done to replace the stock 3.5" in the dash and 4x10's in the rear. First thing I plan on getting for xmas is some front components, but not sure what size, etc. or where to mount them. I don't want to get into too extreme modification cause I'll be working on it in the cold and don't have a lot of spare time. I have Kenwood 4x10's in the rear now that I could leave as fill in until I can upgrade them later, and I have an MTX 10" in a sealed box. I have to dig my old Rockford Fosgate amp out and see whether it still works (coffee spilled in it) and what it actually is, I have no idea how many watts it was or anything. Hope you guys can help me. Oh ya and I like mostly classic rock, heavy rock. I'm looking more for sound quality than ground shaking bass, although I can always get that later if I start with good components right? :) Thanks.

Mike

hmm not too sure about this application but I know some other guys will chime in.. Throw out a budget so those guys can help you out //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Unfortunately I can't afford the kick panels. Anyone happen to know what depth of midrange can be fit in the door of a G body Cutlass? I can't get to it right now and need to pick a speaker ASAP. Thanks for any help.

dont put any speaker in the back, take the stock out and just leave holes there for bass to go thru. You are gonna have to build or buy something for the front, doors or kicks. Also take the back seat back off and there is some thick sound deadening there, I would take that out too.

i remember being able to fit a 5.25 back in the days but i can't remember the depth. the main problem is the window track. i'd leave the rear open if not you could always go with a 5.25 component set.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.