75w RMS into a 60w RMS speaker?

Robw_z

I installed 4 Infinity Reference 6032cf speakers into my RAV4. They sound great on my Pioneer HU which is rated at 22w RMS x4.

The Infinitys are rated at 60w RMS, 180w peak. 2 ohm speakers.

I found a good deal on an Alpine MRV-F300. 50w X 4 RMS which is what I want, but that's at 4 ohms. At 2 ohms this amp is 75w X 4.

I read somewhere in an Amazon review that these infinity speakers aren't actually 2 ohms, but closer to 3. Something I read, that is all. If true that would make the power fall closer to 60w. Thoughts?

Can you just "tune down" an amp?

-Rob

Tune it right and it won't be a problem. If you get into this hobby you will learn that it's good to have way more amp than you need. They never make rated power, even the best of the best.

What would tuning it right consist of? I'm actually not that into bass but I know these would sound better with an amp. I'm wary at running these at full power because the factory RAV4 setup has the speakers running mildly "free air" i.e. They are pretty much but not all the way sealed. I helped the situation a bit with some foam tape but it still could be better.

Thanks for your advice.

-Rob

They're good speakers. 100x4 wouldn't be a big deal.

Tuning it right is largely about not cranking the gain and not using any bass boost. There's a quick gain setting tutorial in the stickies you can follow.

Also, high pass them at a reasonable frequency, maybe 60hz if you're trying to get full range out of them. You don't want your 6.5's trying to do what only a sub can do.

Since the context of power is based on wired rated power, one of our new products coming soon, 70wrms components, have been tested on amplifier rated at 240x2 on 1 component kit for over 45minutes straight without problem.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.