6x9's In Need!

Participant count
  • Participant list
Just upgraded my head unit to a Pioneer AVH-4100NEX and it has a 50W x 4 (14W RMS) speaker outputs. I currently have the stock speakers and they definitely sound a lot better after the head unit but they are blown out.

I've heard that under powering or over powering your speakers isn't good but what are some 6x9 speakers that I can turn up the volume and wont have to worry about distortion? Possibly looking to get a 4ch amp later down the line.

Unless the speakers were old and very worn before the 4100NEX went in it was likely user error that led to them blowing out. Go back into your audio settings and turn down the EQ, the bass boost, and leave Loudness off. You probably should have SLA turned off as well. New 6x9s will probably sound a lot better on head unit power, but if you do have your settings cranked up to make the stock speakers sound louder you need to break that habit now.

Unless the speakers were old and very worn before the 4100NEX went in it was likely user error that led to them blowing out. Go back into your audio settings and turn down the EQ, the bass boost, and leave Loudness off. You probably should have SLA turned off as well. New 6x9s will probably sound a lot better on head unit power, but if you do have your settings cranked up to make the stock speakers sound louder you need to break that habit now.
Well on the old head unit it was noticeable that some of the speakers were blown out even at less than half volume. It was a rental car before I got it. The EQ is flat and bass boost isn't on at all. Do you have any 6x9 recommendations?

Well on the old head unit it was noticeable that some of the speakers were blown out even at less than half volume. It was a rental car before I got it. The EQ is flat and bass boost isn't on at all. Do you have any 6x9 recommendations?
What's the car? Year, make and model.

There is no such thing as underpowering a speaker. You cant hurt a speaker giving it only 20rms instead of 60.

Over powering a speaker can be an issue but most the time. You can give speakers a good amount over their rms rating and they will take it, If its a clean signal.

Distortion happens when you turn up your head unit to max and it starts clipping. What you need is an amplifier. That will give you the volume your looking for with no distortion/clipping.

Precision Power PPI P600.2 Phantom 2-Channel Car Amplifier

Why Too Little Power will NOT blow Your Speakers

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.