6x9 and air space??

Participant count
  • Participant list

Emerald_Dragon
10+ year member

Az
ok i know subs need a specific amout of air space to work correctly. but my question is this, my 6x9's have a documented amount of airspace that they like as well. now this is where it gets tricky. my friend drives an 83 lincon towncar and the 6x9's are mounted on the rear deck.they go directly into the trunk and theres lots or airspace a lot more then what they say they need (or want). would they perform better if i built him some boxes to screw into the deck so they dont have the whole trunk? i really hope i made sence, well thanks for the help

6x9's are designed for infinite baffle applications because 90% of the installs will be infinite baffle applications, if you put them in a small sealed box the bass will disappear entirely.

Source- Mobile Entertainment magazine

If you built a ported box acording to the speakers technical specs they will however work well, a person could conceivably build a box to hold several of them and use them as subwoofers (the cheap 1ways, not the coaxls)

6x9's are designed for infinite baffle applications because 90% of the installs will be infinite baffle applications

This may be true in most cases, but if his 6 x 9s came with airspace recommendations, hes going to be better off following them.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.