6 speakers in a 4 channel setup with mixed impedances

Participant count
  • Participant list

spikes527

Hey all I'm new to these forums so I hope I'm in the right place... anyway I currently have a 4 speaker system hooked up to my Crunch PZX1200.4. The speakers are 2 ohms so that's 300w per speaker. (even though the speakers are only rated for 150w rms at 2 ohms, but that's another story) I have a pair of 6x9 kickers that are rated for 150w rms at 4 ohms. My question is can I wire my 4 2ohm speakers to one channel (either in a series, parallel, or series-parallel) and the 2 4ohm speakers to the other channel safely? Sorry I know that's a long one! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I currently have a 4 speaker system hooked up to my Crunch PZX1200.4. The speakers are 2 ohms so that's 300w per speaker.
No - it's about 60w per speaker.

I have a pair of 6x9 kickers that are rated for 150w rms at 4 ohms. My question is can I wire my 4 2ohm speakers to one channel (either in a series, parallel, or series-parallel) and the 2 4ohm speakers to the other channel safely?
Yes -- Run the 2 ohm speakers in a series which gives you 4 ohms on two channels. That's probably 40-50w rms per channel so 20-25w per speaker.

Then run the 6x9's on the other two channels which will get you 40-50w per speaker.

It's a much lower stress situation (4 ohms per channel) than it was just running the four 2 ohm speakers (2 ohms per channel).

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.