6 channel input or optical??

93 saturn sl2
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
Michigan
My receiver has 6 channel input as well as optical. This new DVD player that i'm getting has 6 channel out as well as optical. Which would be better? Currently I have my dvd player now hooked up throught optical and it sounds great.

Definitely six channel. Six channel is completely uncompressed audio at a 96kHz and is far better quality with the right disk and even without it, you'll at least get DolbyTrueHD. Six channel all the way.

Definitely six channel. Six channel is completely uncompressed audio at a 96kHz and is far better quality with the right disk and even without it, you'll at least get DolbyTrueHD. Six channel all the way.
only way to get dolbytruhd is from hd-dvd or blu ray. not dvd

Whether the audio is coming out of the DVD player in digital or analog it is compressed, PERIOD. The only difference between using analog six channel and optical or coax digital out is the fact that with the six channel out it has already been decoded and converted to analog. Then it gets converted back to digital in the receiver and converted back to analog at the output stages. Over conversion is never a good thing.

Rule of thumb is to keep the signal digital as long as possible. Digital cables are FAR less susceptible to RF interference which plagues analog cables. When HD-DVD and Blu-Ray players come down and people with today's receivers want to hook up for DTS-HD, DD True HD or PCM 5.1 they will have NO choice to go this route because I haven't seen any receivers yet that decode any of these new surround formats.

Well it's not really even the RF interference which makes it non favorable to use the analog outputs. The DVD player usually doesn't do as good of a job converting or outputting the signals as analog. Reason is there is a lot of processing that the receiver does to make it more 'coherent' to the outputs of the speakers. Plus, usually the audio components (analog side) are not as high quality vs. the receiver. Unless you are using a high dollar player like my Elite. Even still, I use my analog only for DVD-Audio/SACD (mostly because you have to) and use Coax digital for movies. I find the center channel to be more vocal and the dynamics to be much more dramatic. The RSP-1098 is even firmware upgradeable lol....

Even still, I use my analog only for DVD-Audio/SACD (mostly because you have to) and use Coax digital for movies.
Unless you have a DVD player / receiver combo that use a digital interface with each other. Denon link is a wonderful thing.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif :p: //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif

Unless you have a DVD player / receiver combo that use a digital interface with each other. Denon link is a wonderful thing.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif :p: //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif
True.... But Pioneer Elite, Arcam, and Rotel don't seem to all be the same brand... LOL....

I know. Just giving you a hard time. I'm sure your setup sounds just a little bit better than mine. LOL;)
Just a little bit.... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif But to each his own.... You have to be happy with what you have...

Just a little bit.... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif But to each his own.... You have to be happy with what you have...
Quite happy to be honest. My DVD collection is over 350 now and 90 of them have DTS. I have this all in my basement and its quite the nice little setup. Nice and dark down there. Audio equipment aside, what I'm really envious of is your TV. I'm still viewing a 36" CRT. It does the job for now but HD sets are coming down in price every day. So it shouldn't be too long before I have one.

Quite happy to be honest. My DVD collection is over 350 now and 90 of them have DTS. I have this all in my basement and its quite the nice little setup. Nice and dark down there. Audio equipment aside, what I'm really envious of is your TV. I'm still viewing a 36" CRT. It does the job for now but HD sets are coming down in price every day. So it shouldn't be too long before I have one.
I'm envious of your DVD collection.... ****.... I'm up to hmm lets see.... about 81....

I'm envious of your DVD collection.... ****.... I'm up to hmm lets see.... about 81....
Almost 50 of those are burned copies. I rent and copy and return.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif Netflix FTMFW !!!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.