6.5 mids...will i be at all satisfied

BCotrell

Senior VIP Member
irvine, ca
Not a versus. I currently run active with a two way in my front door/pillar and sub stage the highs snd lows are good but my midbass is meh. Ct2 tweets, ssa evil 6.5’s run on a ppi 900.4 ( the og one). I am a dumbass and bought 8 ohm ssa’s so
I had to bridge the rear which messed up my time alignment. I’m going to switch to four ohm drivers. Question is should would a set of pwx6.5’s make a difference? I know the audiofrog 60’s have been referenced as an out of the box difference maker but I wanted to keep this swap relatively inexpensive.

thoughts? Better choice in same price range for what I’m trying to accomplish?

Not a versus. I currently run active with a two way in my front door/pillar and sub stage the highs snd lows are good but my midbass is meh. Ct2 tweets, ssa evil 6.5’s run on a ppi 900.4 ( the og one). I am a dumbass and bought 8 ohm ssa’s so
I had to bridge the rear which messed up my time alignment. I’m going to switch to four ohm drivers. Question is should would a set of pwx6.5’s make a difference? I know the audiofrog 60’s have been referenced as an out of the box difference maker but I wanted to keep this swap relatively inexpensive.

thoughts? Better choice in same price range for what I’m trying to accomplish?
Well what are your crossover points? Sound deadening? RTA?

Not sure how much you want to spend.

Screenshot_20210613-233229_Chrome.jpg

@ThxOne inner door cavity all lined with dynamat and closed dell, excess door cavity holes covered with sheet metal and covered with dynamat. Still probably mildly leaky at best.

crossover is 80hz and just under 3k (maybe 2.8 but I don’t remember at this moment.)

@Popwarhomie I kind of wanted to try those daytons after reading up on them.

@ThxOne inner door cavity all lined with dynamat and closed dell, excess door cavity holes covered with sheet metal and covered with dynamat. Still probably mildly leaky at best.

crossover is 80hz and just under 3k (maybe 2.8 but I don’t remember at this moment.)

@Popwarhomie I kind of wanted to try those daytons after reading up on them.

Too funny! 🤡 A regular John Wayne Gacy!

I like SB Acoustics and think they’ll be an upgrade for sure. Hear great things about the Flutes but no experience. Same with Steven’s. I would like to try some Steven’s next actually.

Exactly. They are stupid cheap for how good they are.
So that’s kinda where I’m getting at, wanting to be relatively frugal in this adjustment but I also realize to quibble about $20-25 difference frim one budget performer to the other is dumb. Given the 150 watts per channel that tested about 175 watts (neglible difference) and a big ass door somewhere in the middle of ib and totally sealed which of your three recommendations would you go with?

I liked my PWXs for midbass but the clarity was not so great IMO.

I'm really interested in trying some Dayton RS speakers next. I have some Dayton DSA woofers that I really like. Unfortunately they have been out of stock for a few months now. But I am very happy with the Silver Flutes and they are pretty flat down to 60hz.

SF
silverflute.png

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...