.5 ohm sub on 1ohm amp?

pclayk

Im new to this but ive got a soundstream splx 12 quad 1 ohm sub on an autotek mean machine m4000.1d amp. I was thinking about getting a optidrive 1233d sub but it runs at .5 ohm i think but my amp only goes down to 1 ohm. Would that be okay or should i just stick with what i got? Thanks for any help you can give //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Do not put anything lower than a 1 ohm total load on a 1 ohm amp. Given the choices you presented - stay with what you have.

FYI:

Your SPLX 12 is a dual voice coil, 2 ohms per VC sub and can be wired as a 1 ohm or 4 ohm load

The 1233D is a dual VC, 1.2 ohm per VC sub that can be wired as 0.6 ohm or 2.4 ohm load

Your amp is rated down to 1 ohm, so running the SPLX at 1 ohm is your best choice IMO

Do not put anything lower than a 1 ohm total load on a 1 ohm amp. Given the choices you presented - stay with what you have.
FYI:

Your SPLX 12 is a dual voice coil, 2 ohms per VC sub and can be wired as a 1 ohm or 4 ohm load

The 1233D is a dual VC, 1.2 ohm per VC sub that can be wired as 0.6 ohm or 2.4 ohm load

Your amp is rated down to 1 ohm, so running the SPLX at 1 ohm is your best choice IMO
His splx comes in dual AND quad vc's "FYI". The quad 1ohm can be run at .25, 1, and 4 ohms using a single amplifier. I would stick with the splx, or sell it to me : )

You *could* run a 1 ohm amp at half ohm depending on your impedence rise but with music, the amp could randomly protect or randomly go poof lol.

His splx comes in dual AND quad vc's "FYI". The quad 1ohm can be run at .25, 1, and 4 ohms using a single amplifier. I would stick with the splx, or sell it to me : )
Thanks - didn't realize they had a quad VC version. Same conclusion though - stick with SPLX wired to 1 ohm. Cheers.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.