5 channel amp wiring

Participant count
  • Participant list

Darrelk1

CarAudio.com Newbie
Texas
I have a cooler stereo for floating the river. My current setup has 4 4 ohm 2 way speakers connected to a car stereo. I want to upgrade it and get rid of the car stereo and just use an MP3 player plugged directly into an amp. I purchased a 5 channel amp and an 8" dual coil subwoofer. The amp has a power rating for 2 ohm and a power rating for 4 ohm. Can I wire the 2 way speakers to the amp at 4 Ohms to get the lower power rating and wire the sub to the amp at 2 ohms to get the higher power rating for it or does it have to be 4 ohms to match the two way speakers?

More info needed
What amp are you using
What speakers and sub are you using.
The problem with wiring an MP3 player directly to the amp is that there is little to no voltage on the RCA pre out from the MP3 player
The car stereo has 2 volts or more power for the pre outs.
The MP3 player has maybe a quarter of that
So its going to be noticeably quieter
I assume your powering it all with lithium
My curiosity is getting the better of me
Post a pic, I'd like to see this floating cooler/system
My brother ask me to do something similar for him and I told him it wasn't possible so I might haver to eat a little crow

More info needed
What amp are you using
The problem with wiring an MP3 player directly to the amp is that there is little to no voltage on the RCA pre out from the MP3 player
My brother ask me to do something similar for him and I told him it wasn't possible so I might haver to eat a little crow
More info needed
What amp are you using
More info needed
What amp are you using
It's not an expensive amp or subwoofer.
The amp is a hifonics 600.5 marine and the sub is 8" fosgate marine. I use a deep cycle 12 volt marine battery to power it. Attached are pictures of my current setup.
FB_IMG_1618510945805.jpg
FB_IMG_1618510955662.jpg
FB_IMG_1618510967663.jpg
FB_IMG_1618510983869.jpg

More info needed
What amp are you using
The two way speakers are Kenwood Marine 6 and 1/2. Everything has to be marine grade just in case it gets splashed.

Nice
It wasn't about what equipment you were using. Wouldn't be all that smart to put expensive stuff in something that has the potential to get all wet.
I just wanted to see how you accomplished it.
So now you want to shoehorn an amp into the whole setup.
How is that going to do you for power, how long will that battery last once there is an amp drawing power off of it.

Nice
It wasn't about what equipment you were using. Wouldn't be all that smart to put expensive stuff in something that has the potential to get all wet.
I just wanted to see how you accomplished it.
So now you want to shoehorn an amp into the whole setup.
How is that going to do you for power, how long will that battery last once there is an amp drawing power off of it.
With my current setup it will easily go all day without having to charge it. The campsites we stay at have power so I carry a charger with me and usually charge it in the evenings. The floats are usually around 4 to 5 hours and even with the extra power drain I think it will have no problem lasting that long. I'll just have to charge it more often.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.