5 channel amp wiring for speakers

Participant count
  • Participants list

Brncos4lyfe

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hi all,

I have a 5 channel budget amp (PPI TRAX 2200D) I'm using in my work truck just so I can have some better than stock sound for driving to/from/between jobs. I want to bridge the 4 main channels and run 2 12" subs on the sub channel at 2 ohms. Bridged channels would be 4 ohms. My question: the specs say the amp is 2 ohm stable. The bridged output rating is listed at 4 ohms (including the sub channel at 500x1). Does the 4 ohm bridged rating mean that I can only run all channels at 4ohms bridged or can I still run the 2 subs in parallel, dropping the sub channel to 2 ohms while leaving the other 4 channels bridged at 4 ohms? Would I then be running the overall output at 3 ohms? Or should I just run the door speakers off of the front channels of the amp (not bridged) and leave the rear channels disconnected and then drop the sub channel to 2 ohms with the 2 subs (4 ohm svc) in parallel?

Thanks for any and all input/advice!

Hi all,

I have a 5 channel budget amp (PPI TRAX 2200D) I'm using in my work truck just so I can have some better than stock sound for driving to/from/between jobs. I want to bridge the 4 main channels and run 2 12" subs on the sub channel at 2 ohms. Bridged channels would be 4 ohms. My question: the specs say the amp is 2 ohm stable. The bridged output rating is listed at 4 ohms (including the sub channel at 500x1). Does the 4 ohm bridged rating mean that I can only run all channels at 4ohms bridged or can I still run the 2 subs in parallel, dropping the sub channel to 2 ohms while leaving the other 4 channels bridged at 4 ohms? Would I then be running the overall output at 3 ohms? Or should I just run the door speakers off of the front channels of the amp (not bridged) and leave the rear channels disconnected and then drop the sub channel to 2 ohms with the 2 subs (4 ohm svc) in parallel?

Thanks for any and all input/advice!
It looks like the min bridge load is 4ohm, so when the amp sees the bridge it bumps the sub channel to 500w at the same 4ohm. I could be wrong since i have no experience with this amp but from the specs it looks to be that way. I would not mix loads on different channels on the same amp

Each output has its own impedance range.  The sub channel can be ran at 2 ohms mono and at the same time, the four speaker channels can be ran at 2 ohm stereo on each channel or bridged for 4 ohm mono on the pair of channels.  You don't consider a combined impedance load between the sub outputs and the speaker outputs.

I think the specs just copied the 2 ohm mono output down to the next line when listing the 4 ohm bridged output. 

Your plan to bridge to the front speakers and wire the sub at 2 ohms is a good plan.  You'll get the most power out of the amp this way and have the most headroom to hopefully keep noise low.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.