4ohm 8ohm, how different will it be?

Participant count
  • Participant list

reid1boys
10+ year member

I have a zpco reference 750 that is 750 watts bridged at 4ohms.

I currently have a DVC 4 ohm that is wired for 8ohms. if I get a new sub that has DVC 2ohms and wire it to 4 ohms that will obviously increase the power to the sub. Will the difference be dramatic if the subs are the same except for 2ohm vs 4ohm DVC??

I have a zpco reference 750 that is 750 watts bridged at 4ohms.
I currently have a DVC 4 ohm that is wired for 8ohms. if I get a new sub that has DVC 2ohms and wire it to 4 ohms that will obviously increase the power to the sub. Will the difference be dramatic if the subs are the same except for 2ohm vs 4ohm DVC??
You will only notice the extra output at close to full volume. But, if you were running into clipping at full volume before, there's a good chance you won't be anymore with the 4-ohm wiring (to achieve the same volume level).
Edit: Assuming the same model of sub, just different VC config, and assuming it can handle the extra power. A different model of sub and different box will obviously handle the power differently.

I have a cheap swiss audio 12 inch .

I am actually thinking about getting 2 10" type Rs. Needs to fit under the seat of a Chevy Silverado, and I do not want to spend 400 bucks on subs.

I have a cheap swiss audio 12 inch .
I am actually thinking about getting 2 10" type Rs. Needs to fit under the seat of a Chevy Silverado, and I do not want to spend 400 bucks on subs.
Well, if you're going to change that much, the difference will be more than just going from 8-ohm to 4-ohm.
Do you know what your mounting depth under the seat is? Type R's are pretty deep... may want to consider something not so deep.

I have about 10 inches under the seat. the sub will actually have about 9-1/4". I will need to double the thickness of the top of the box to keep the seat from touching the sub.

I have about 10 inches under the seat. the sub will actually have about 9-1/4". I will need to double the thickness of the top of the box to keep the seat from touching the sub.
I've heard most silverado boxes under the seat do best when the subs fire downward toward the ground not up towards the seat. Just something to keep in mind. Probably would have a more drastic effect than switching from 8 to 4 ohm

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.