4HP Help, Need Surround/Basket spacers

jonny101abc
10+ year member

SOCAL Stang-Man
hey there everyone, im building a pair of custom 15" 4hp subs.

the spider assembly has an extra spacer on it, so the cone and surround sit 3/8" higher than the surround landing on the basket.

where can i find a spacer that fits the top of a 15" basket?

IMG_2370.jpg

IMG_2369.jpg

IMG_2395.jpg

IMG_2392.jpg

IMG_2371.jpg

If you've got the time and money im sure any machine shop could make you some spacer rings fairly easy. Not sure how much it'd cost but i would think itd work fine.

Do you need that extra spacer? It will add some stability, but how tight of a gap are you running? The foam surround , is also pretty stuff, i don't think you need a spacer that tall, its going to complicate things quite a bit... more than its worth perhaps.

Do you need that extra spacer? It will add some stability, but how tight of a gap are you running? The foam surround , is also pretty stuff, i don't think you need a spacer that tall, its going to complicate things quite a bit... more than its worth perhaps.
??

I was talking about the "spider" spacers. Looks like you have about 1.5 to 2" there. you can just use a 1" spacer and it will probably all fit. Take off the second spacer.

Dude.... 3/8" its a big gap between the surround and the basket //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

If the parts are already glued (spiders/spacers/coil/cone) there's nothing that you can do because the only way to make the recone fit, will be if you remove and remplace the spider/spacer of the bottom BUT if you do that, you will give the coil a different aligment on the Top Plate thats assuming it's already set in the midle, Otherwise you need to set it up first and then deal with the other parts. AND The other way to do it is using another cone style which I would do if you haven't glued the cone yet...

wow this is a big problem here !! i would try and get one of those spacer out of there. looks like the top spider is not guled down? what was that re cone made for ?

Honestly, for the amount of money that you're going to spend, it might be option to reconsider the assembly. Possibly tear it down and take out the extra spacer.

If you plan on using a machine shop, measure the height of the space very carefully or you will run into some major issues with the cone or surround.

Tuan

Dude.... 3/8" its a big gap between the surround and the basket //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif
If the parts are already glued (spiders/spacers/coil/cone) there's nothing that you can do because the only way to make the recone fit, will be if you remove and remplace the spider/spacer of the bottom BUT if you do that, you will give the coil a different aligment on the Top Plate thats assuming it's already set in the midle, Otherwise you need to set it up first and then deal with the other parts. AND The other way to do it is using another cone style which I would do if you haven't glued the cone yet...
thanks for your input Chris

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.