4 Simple questions please help fast my table saw is running

Biker
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Tracy, CA
I want to build a sealed box for 2 10 inch subwoofers.

What thickness MDF should I use?

In calculating the airspace do we factor in the physical part of the speaker inside the enclosure?

should there be a divider between the 2 speakers?

What do you use to seal along the seams?

Thanks

Biker

3/4 mdf yes

not necessary

calking
So Thanks a million but how do I factor the size of the speaker. Guess?

calking? Lets see there are to many different kinds? Guess?

Also would adding the divider be a plus just based of the fact that the box will be stronger?

Biker

unless youre using a pair of massive spl subs, a 3/4" mdf box ought to be more than strong enough. just regular silicone bathroom caulk is fine and dandy. the displacement of the speaker ought to be in the specs.

So Thanks a million but how do I factor the size of the speaker. Guess?
calking? Lets see there are to many different kinds? Guess?

Also would adding the divider be a plus just based of the fact that the box will be stronger?

Biker
get the airspace right for the sub..youll be ok. minus displacment

i use liquid nails

wtf?

One more quick question so I can start the sawdust flying.

My subs are Recommended Enclosure Use: 0.65 ~ 1.25 Cubic Feet

That seems like a wide range? What would the effect be comparing the lower end to the higher end or should I split it down the middle.

The setup is fairly low end. 2 Pioneer TS-W257D2/D4 rated 350rms each powered 500watts @ 4ohms by a RF P6002

Thanks again

One more quick question so I can start the sawdust flying.
My subs are Recommended Enclosure Use: 0.65 ~ 1.25 Cubic Feet

That seems like a wide range? What would the effect be comparing the lower end to the higher end or should I split it down the middle.

The setup is fairly low end. 2 Pioneer TS-W257D2/D4 rated 350rms each powered 500watts @ 4ohms by a RF P6002

Thanks again
i usually go the biggest or alittle bigger than the max reccomended exclosure size. i like my subs to perform at max potential. just remember..they are reccomendations box dont have to be that big/small.

and if your putting 2 subs in 1 chamber..dont forget to double it.

Yes size is not a factor for me so the larger the better as long as I dont go past the reccomended upper limit? Sorry for being so persistant but I know the speaker sound in a sealed box has a lot to do with having the right size. Just want it to be right.

Yes size is not a factor for me so the larger the better as long as I dont go past the reccomended upper limit? Sorry for being so persistant but I know the speaker sound in a sealed box has a lot to do with having the right size. Just want it to be right.
we have the same truck.

fillin up the backseat too?

LOL Yes, I started with a thunderform and put the amps in the fender wells, Then I sealed the doors and fender wells so I put better deeper speakers in the thunderform using spacers and put a board down between the speakers and mounted 2 amps. Covered everything with MDF and put the seats on top. Usable although the passenger sits a little high.

Problem is the subs dont sound good in the thunderform so am putting a solid deck over the thunderform, 2 amps and fans on top of that. another piece of MDF over that and a sealed box on top of that.

There may be room for the small seat on one side when am done.

Its never ending.

Biker

LOL Yes, I started with a thunderform and put the amps in the fender wells, Then I sealed the doors and fender wells so I put better deeper speakers in the thunderform using spacers and put a board down between the speakers and mounted 2 amps. Covered everything with MDF and put the seats on top. Usable although the passenger sits a little high.
Problem is the subs dont sound good in the thunderform so am putting a solid deck over the thunderform, 2 amps and fans on top of that. another piece of MDF over that and a sealed box on top of that.

There may be room for the small seat on one side when am done.

Its never ending.

Biker
fuck that

take both seats out, and the understorage compartment..completely strip everything down to the back cab wall..flase floor with the box right up to the window line..

thats how mine was for a lloonngg time..its all back together now tho

for my last box i tried the black silicone used for windows and door seals. it dried in 10 minutes and seems a lot more durable. its also rated as a 10 for sealant compared to a 8 for the clear bathroom silicone. its also easier to see if u missed anywhere..**** good stuff

IF you can use a saw worth spit, caulk is totally unneeded. Glue the box together and then run a bead of glue down the inside of the seam and wipe it out with your finger to covert the whole joint. It will strengthen and seal the joint and can be done at teh same time the box is being built rather than waiting until after the constuction gluing is done. Make the whole thing ready quicker.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.